This topic describes the benefits of Message Queue for Apache Kafka.
- High compatibility: Message Queue for Apache Kafka is fully compatible with open source Apache Kafka. You can use open source Apache Kafka clients to communicate with Message Queue for Apache Kafka. Message Queue for Apache Kafka supports open source Apache Kafka of versions 0.10.x to 2.6.x.
- Seamless migration: You can migrate your business systems that are developed based on the open source Apache Kafka ecosystem to Alibaba Cloud Message Queue for Apache Kafka without code modification.
Zero O&M and high observability
- Housekeeping: This component checks the status of the core links of Message Queue for Apache Kafka. It scans and diagnoses the entire cluster every minute and then generates alerts for unhealthy instances. It also provides an overall inspection report every day for O&M engineers to monitor the health status of Message Queue for Apache Kafka.
- Service monitoring and alerting: The system monitors the number of accumulated messages in each consumer group and generates alerts. This helps you detect issues at the earliest opportunity.
- API: Message Queue for Apache Kafka provides a complete set of API operations. You can call these operations to manage resources and perform O&M.
Extensive data ecosystem
- Message Queue for Apache Kafka provides fully managed and O&M-free components for the extract, transform, and load (ETL) feature and supports functions for programming. This allows you to flexibly manage data.
- Message Queue for Apache Kafka connectors can connect to various Alibaba Cloud services and other services in the big data ecosystem. This facilitates data integration and computing.
High elasticity and ultra-high specifications
- Message Queue for Apache Kafka deeply optimizes its kernel to resolve the pain point of frequent jitter with open source Apache Kafka when data is written to thousands of partitions. Message Queue for Apache Kafka supports data writing for tens of thousands of partitions.
- Message Queue for Apache Kafka supports elastic scalability that can be implemented within seconds.
- Message Queue for Apache Kafka supports a maximum of 10 GB of write traffic.
- Data persistence: The team helps ensure higher availability. Messages are persistently enqueued. This ensures high data durability and service availability.
- High throughput: If a large number of messages are accumulated, each Message Queue for Apache Kafka cluster can maintain a high throughput.
- Tens of thousands of topics: Message Queue for Apache Kafka can concurrently read data from and write data to tens of thousands of topics to maintain a high throughput of the Message Queue for Apache Kafka cluster.
High SLA guarantee
- Message Queue for Apache Kafka optimizes write performance in scenarios such as phased update, service upgrade, and cold data read.
- Message Queue for Apache Kafka provides automatic inspection and O&M with the availability of 99.9% and reliability of 99.999999%.
- Permission management: Message Queue for Apache Kafka supports Alibaba Cloud accounts, RAM users, blacklists and whitelists, and Security Token Service (STS) for permission management. This helps you grant permissions to a RAM user or another Alibaba Cloud account.
- Access security: Based on the Alibaba Cloud account system, Message Queue for Apache Kafka authenticates the identity of a user by using the Simple Authentication and Security Layer (SASL) mechanism. Message Queue for Apache Kafka also encrypts the channel based on SSL to prevent data interception and tampering during transmission.
- Alibaba Cloud Virtual Private Cloud (VPC): Message Queue for Apache Kafka allows access from the Internet and VPCs. You have full control over your VPCs. For example, you can specify CIDR blocks and configure route tables and gateways for your VPCs. In your VPCs, you can also deploy Alibaba Cloud resources such as Elastic Compute Service (ECS), ApsaraDB RDS, and Server Load Balancer (SLB) instances.
Optimization based on open source Apache Kafka
Message Queue for Apache Kafka supports concurrent read and write for tens of thousands of topics, second-level scaling, and reliable storage. This cost-efficient service also provides a housekeeping component, business monitoring, and alerting to help you troubleshoot issues at the earliest opportunity. For more information, see Comparison between Message Queue for Apache Kafka and open source Apache Kafka.