Before you use an NVIDIA GRID driver, you must apply for the driver license and install the license on a license server. This topic describes how to configure a Linux license server.
In this example, Ubuntu 18.04 is used. If your instance runs another type of Linux other than Ubuntu, for example, CentOS, you must change specific commands that are provided in this topic based on your business requirements. For more information, see Virtual GPU software license server documentation.
The following figure shows the licensing architecture of an NVIDIA GRID driver.
You must obtain the license file of a GRID driver from the NVIDIA Licensing Portal and install the file on a license server that you configured. Then, you must connect your GPU-accelerated or vGPU-accelerated instance to the license server over the Internet and activate the license of the GRID driver.
Step 1: Create an ECS instance
Create a Linux Elastic Compute Service (ECS) instance that works as a license server. For more information, see Create an instance by using the wizard.
When you create the instance, you must configure parameters based on the descriptions that are provided in the following table. You can configure the parameters that are not provided in the table based on your business requirements.
|Instance specifications||Select an ECS instance whose specifications are higher than the specifications of 2 vCPUs and 4 GB memory. If you require a large number of licenses, we recommend that you select an ECS instance whose specifications are higher than the specifications of 4 vCPUs and 16 GB memory to ensure high performance and stability.|
|Image||Select a Linux image. In this example, an Ubuntu 18.04 image is used.|
|Storage||Select a system disk whose size is larger than 40 GiB.|
|Bandwidth||We recommend that you select the pay-by-data-transfer metering method and set the peak bandwidth to 100 Mbit/s.|
Step 2: Install JRE
- Connect to the ECS instance that works as the license server. For more information, see Connect to a Linux instance by using a password or key.
- Run the following command and check whether Java Runtime Environment (JRE) is installed
on the instance:
If the returned information about the Java version is similar to the following command output, JRE is installed. If the returned information about the Java version is different from the following command output, perform the next operation.
java version "1.7.0_51" OpenJDK Runtime Environment (rhel-126.96.36.199.el7-x86_64 u51-b31) OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 24.51-b03, mixed mode)
- Run the following command to install OpenJDK:
sudo apt install default-jdkNote If the message Unable to locate package default-jdk appears, run the
apt updatecommand before you run the sudo apt install default-jdk command.
... Running hooks in /etc/ca-certificates/update.d... done. done.
Step 3: Install and run Apache Tomcat
- Run the following command to install the Apache Tomcat package by using your package
manager of the Linux distribution:
sudo apt install tomcat8
- After you install Apache Tomcat, run the following command to enable automatic startup
for Apache Tomcat:
sudo systemctl enable tomcat8.service
- Run the following command to start Apache Tomcat:
sudo systemctl start tomcat8.service
- Open http://localhost:8080 in your web browser and check whether Apache Tomcat is available. Note Replace localhost in the URL with the public IP address of your ECS instance.
Step 4: Install the license server software
Before you install the license server software, make sure that you have obtained the setup.bin file that contains the installation package of the license server software or the .zip file that contains the setup.bin file.
- Download the setup.bin file that contains the installation package or decompress the
- If you obtained the installation package of the license server software from the NVIDIA
official website, run the following command to decompress the package:
unzip The name of the installation package.zipNote Replace The name of the installation package in the command with the name of the installation package that you obtained.
- If you obtained the download URL of the installation package from Alibaba Cloud, run
the following command to download the installation package:
- If you obtained the installation package of the license server software from the NVIDIA official website, run the following command to decompress the package:
- Run the following command to grant execute permissions on the installation package:
chmod +x setup.bin
- Install the license server software.
- Run the following command to install the license server software as the root user:
sudo ./setup.bin -i console
- In the Introduction section, press Enter.
- In the License Agreement section, press Enter each time you are prompted to page through the license agreement.
When you reach the end of the agreement, you are prompted to accept the terms of the agreement. To accept the terms, enter y and press Enter.
- In the Choose Install Folder section, press Enter to use the default installation directory.
- In the Choose Local Tomcat Server Path section, enter the local directory of Apache Tomcat. The default directory is /var/lib/tomcatthe version number of Apache Tomcat. Example: /var/lib/tomcat8.
- In the Choose Firewall Options section, select the ports that you want to open in the firewall and press Enter. We recommend that you keep the default settings.
- In the Pre-Installation Summary section, confirm your settings and press Enter. The system starts to install the license server software.
- In the Install Complete section, press Enter. The license server software is installed.
- Run the following command to install the license server software as the root user:
Step 5: Create the license server on the NVIDIA Licensing Portal
- Log on to the NVIDIA Licensing Portal by using the email address that you have used to apply for the driver license.
- On the Dashboard page, click CREATE LICENSE SERVER in the License Servers section.
- In the Create License Server dialog box, configure parameters and click CREATE LICENSE SERVER.
The following table describes the parameters that you must configure.
Parameter Description Server Name Specify a custom name for the license server. MAC Address Enter the MAC address of the ECS instance that works as the license server.
To query the MAC address, log on to the instance and run the
Feature Select features based on your business requirements, enter the number of licenses that you want to add to the server, and then click ADD.
- After you create the license server on the NVIDIA Licensing Portal, go to the License Servers section and click the icon to download the license file.
Step 6: Upload the license file
- Open http://localhost:8080/licserver in your web browser. You are redirected to the license management page. Note Replace localhost in the URL with the public IP address of your ECS instance.
- In the License Server section of the left-side navigation pane, click License Management.
- On the License Management page, click Choose File on the right of Upload license file (.bin file), select the license file from your computer, and then click Open.
- Click Upload. If the message that is shown in the following figure appears, the license file is uploaded.
To view the number of licenses on the server and the usage details of the licenses, click License Feature Usage in the License Server section of the left-side navigation pane.
Step 7: Test network connectivity and access to the license server
In this example, a Windows vGPU-accelerated instance that belongs to the vgn6i instance family is used. If you have a GPU-accelerated instance, you can use the instance.
- Create a GPU-accelerated instance.
For more information, see Create a GPU-accelerated instance that is not configured with a driver.
In this example, a vGPU-accelerated instance that belongs to the vgn6i instance family and whose image is of Windows Server 2019 Datacenter 64-bit (English) is used.
- Install the GRID driver, add the license server, and then activate the license. For
more information, see Install a GRID driver on a Windows GPU-accelerated instance.
When you activate the license, enter the public IP address of the ECS instance that works as the license server and set the port number to 7070.
- Open http://localhost:8080/licserver in your local web browser. You are redirected to the license management page. In
the License Server section of the left-side navigation pane, click Licensed Clients. On the Client Details page, check whether the information about the vGPU-accelerated
instance appears. If the information appears, your vGPU-accelerated instance that
works as a virtual machine of the NVIDIA vGPU software client is using the license.
You can click the client ID to view the details of the vGPU-accelerated instance.