If a host on which your Elastic Compute Service (ECS) instance resides has potential risks or fails, Alibaba Cloud sends a system event to notify you of the situation. Then, you can handle the event. When you handle the event, the system takes the default maintenance action to restart the instance. If you do not want the instance to be automatically restarted, you can change the maintenance action for the instance by modifying its maintenance attribute.
|Instance maintenance attribute||System event||Supported instance||Description|
|Automatically Restart (Default)||
||All instances that support system events.||Restores the instance to the state that it was in before the O&M task related to a
system event is executed.
||All instances that support system events.||Puts the instance into the Stopped state. This maintenance attribute is applicable to scenarios in which failovers or switchovers are performed at the application layer for disaster recovery purposes to prevent conflicts between multiple nodes in service.|
||Instances that depend on host hardware, such as instances that have local disks attached
or that support Software Guard Extensions (SGX) encrypted computing. For information
about the instance families of such instances, see Instance family.
Note After an instance is redeployed, the data on its local disks is deleted and SGX is reset.
|Redeploys the instance to another host to continue providing services.|
- Configure core applications such as SAP HANA to automatically start on system startup. This helps prevent business interruptions.
- Enable the automatic reconnection feature for your applications. For example, allow applications to automatically connect to MySQL, SQL Server, or Apache Tomcat.
- Deploy multiple ECS instances in a cluster if you use Server Load Balancer (SLB). When an ECS instance is being automatically restarted, other ECS instances can continue to provide access to your services.
- Back up data on local disks on a regular basis to ensure that redundant data copies are available for you to redeploy instances.
- Log on to the ECS console.
- In the left-side navigation pane, choose .
- In the top navigation bar, select a region.
- Find the instance and use one of the following methods to modify its maintenance attribute:
- Method 1: Choose Actions column corresponding to the instance. in the
- Method 2: Click the ID of the instance to go to the Instance Details page. In the upper-right corner of the tab, choose .
- In the Modify Instance Maintenance Attribute dialog box, set the Maintenance Action parameter and click OK.
- If the instance has only cloud disks attached, you can select one of the following
options for Maintenance Action:
- Automatically Restart
- If the instance has local disks attached, you can select one of the following options
for Maintenance Action:
- Automatically Restart
- Automatically Re-deploy
- If the instance has only cloud disks attached, you can select one of the following options for Maintenance Action:
- In the Other Information section of the Instance Details tab, confirm the new Maintenance Attribute settings.