You can migrate Elastic Compute Service (ECS) instances between different dedicated hosts that belong to your Alibaba Cloud account to flexibly deploy your business. This topic describes how to migrate ECS instances between different dedicated hosts in the Dedicated Host (DDH) console.
- The ECS instance that your want to migrate is stopped. For more information, see Stop an instance.
Notice If you stop an ECS instance, your business is interrupted. Proceed with caution.
- The destination dedicated host must meet the following requirements:
- The dedicated host and the ECS instance belong to the same account, region, and zone.
- The available resources of the dedicated host meet the requirements of the ECS instance. For information about how to view the available resources of a dedicated host, see View the information of a dedicated host.
- The dedicated host supports the instance family of the ECS instance. For more information,
see Dedicated host types.
Note You cannot migrate an ECS instance attached with a local SSD to a local SSD dedicated host.
- If the dedicated host and ECS instance use the subscription billing method, the instance
expires earlier than the dedicated host.
You can also run pay-as-you-go ECS instances on a subscription dedicated host.
- Log on to the ECS console.
- In the top navigation bar, select a region.
- In the left-side navigation pane, choose .
- On the Dedicated Hosts page, find the dedicated host on which the ECS instance resides, and then click Details in the Actions column.
- Find the ECS instance that you want to migrate, and click Modify Host Deployment in the Actions column.
- In the Modify Host Deployment dialog box, set the parameters as needed.
Parameter Description Destination Host Select the dedicated host to which you want to migrate the ECS instance from the Destination Host drop-down list.Note If no dedicated host meets the requirements to host your ECS instance, the Destination Host drop-down list is empty. Target Instance Type You can change the instance type when you migrate the ECS instance. The supported instance types depend on the specifications of the dedicated host.
- If you want to migrate the ECS instance to a custom dedicated host, such as g6s, c6s, or r6s, the type of the destination instance can only be ecs.ddh6s.custom. You can adjust the slider to specify the number of vCPUs and the memory size. The minimum scaling step size of vCPUs is 1. If more than one vCPU is required, you must set this parameter to an even number, for example, 2 or 4. The minimum scaling step size of the memory is 1 GiB.
- If you want to migrate the ECS instance to a dedicated host except for g6s, c6s, and r6s, available instance types are listed in the Target Instance Type drop-down list.
Associate with Host Select whether to associate the instance with the dedicated host.
- Yes: The ECS instance is associated with the dedicated host. After the instance is stopped and computing resources are released, the instance is still deployed on the dedicated host when it is restarted. If the dedicated host has insufficient available resources, the instance fails to be restarted.
- No: The ECS instance is not associated with the dedicated host. After the instance is stopped and computing resources are released, the instance is still deployed on the dedicated host when it is restarted. If the dedicated host has insufficient available resources, the system selects a dedicated host from the pool of dedicated hosts that allow automatic deployment.
Migration Method Valid value: Zero-downtime Migration. The ECS instance that you want to migrate must be in the Stopped state.
- Click OK. After the migration is complete, the ECS instance automatically starts and enters the Running state. You can check whether the ECS instance is running on the destination dedicated host on the details page of the host.