By default, the validity period of an SSL certificate that is issued by a certificate authority (CA) is one year. To extend the validity period of a certificate, you must renew the certificate within 30 calendar days before it expires. Certificate Management Service provides the certificate hosting feature. If you enable this feature for a certificate, the system automatically applies for a new certificate when the certificate is due to expire.
Before the certificate hosting feature is provided, you can renew a certificate only within 30 calendar days before it expires. After the feature is provided, you can use the feature to achieve automatic and timely renewal of a certificate before it expires. The feature also provides dedicated technical support.
You can enable hosting for a certificate when you apply for the certificate. This way, Alibaba Cloud automatically activates an associated certificate for the hosted certificate whose state changes to Pending Expiration within 30 calendar days before it expires. This prevents your business from being interrupted in case you forget to renew the certificate in a timely manner.
- Some types of certificates do not allow you to add the remaining validity period of
a hosted certificate to an associated certificate for the hosted certificate. If you
enable hosting for these types of certificates, Alibaba Cloud automatically submits
certificate applications within 15 calendar days before the certificates expire. This
prevents the remaining validity periods of the certificates from being wasted. The
following types of certificates are involved:
- Uploaded certificates
- DigiCert DV wildcard certificates
- The certificate hosting feature does not automatically install associated certificates on your web servers. After you obtain an associated certificate that is issued in automatic mode for a hosted certificate, you must manually install the certificate on your web server under the guidance of dedicated customer service staff to replace the hosted certificate.
Automatic adding of remaining validity periods
The certificate hosting feature automatically adds the remaining validity period of a hosted certificate to the associated certificate. The expiration time of the associated certificate is one year later than that of the hosted certificate. For example, if a hosted certificate whose validity period is one year and expires on June 1, 2022, Alibaba Cloud automatically applies for a new certificate when the hosted certificate is due to expire. After the new certificate is issued, its expiration time is June 01, 2023.
- The certificate hosting feature automatically applies for a new certificate to extend the service life of a certificate, which ensures timely renewal of the certificate in case you forget to renew the certificate in a timely manner.
- If the domain name that is bound to the certificate belongs to the Alibaba Cloud account that you use to apply for the certificate, and the information that you submit for application last time is valid, the certificate hosting feature automatically applies for a new certificate and complete the issuance. You do not need to manually renew the certificate and submit a certificate application. If the preceding conditions are not met, Alibaba Cloud contacts you to help you apply for a new certificate and complete the issuance process.
- The certificate hosting feature provides the certificate installation service for enterprises and individuals that do not have technical abilities. This way, the enterprises and individuals can install certificates on their web servers.
What to do next