Image editing allows you to edit and distribute images on Alibaba Cloud CDN edge nodes. This reduces the number of requests that are redirected to origin servers, and reduces loads on origin servers. Image editing allows you to resize images, crop images, add watermarks to images, and perform other operations on images based on business requirements. The image editing feature of Alibaba Cloud CDN and the Image Processing (IMG) feature of Object Storage Service (OSS) are two separate features.
You must add a domain name to Alibaba Cloud CDN before you can enable image editing. For more information, see Add a domain name.
After image editing is enabled, images are edited and cached on edge nodes. This reduces loads on origin servers.
|Websites that provide design resources||
- Accelerated delivery
After a base image is cached on edge nodes, the edge nodes directly resize the image based on requests and return resized images to clients. This improves delivery efficiency.
- Reduced loads on origin servers
If images are edited and stored on origin servers, the images consume storage and computing resources of the origin servers and increase the maintenance cost of the origin servers. After image editing is enabled, images are edited and cached on edge nodes. This reduces loads on origin servers.
- Improved refresh and prefetch efficiency
After a base image expires, all images edited based on the base image are expired and become unavailable. To address this issue, images are edited and cached on edge nodes. This solution reduces the frequency of refresh and prefetch tasks and the amount of bandwidth resources consumed by requests that are redirected to origin servers. Newly edited mages are cached on edge nodes to ensure the availability of base images and edited images.
- Image editing on edge nodes
This feature can recognize image editing parameters and edit images to adapt to different browsers and clients. It helps you meet the requirements of different users.
- Limits on base images
- Only the following image formats are supported: JPEG, PNG, WebP, BMP, GIF, TIFF, and JPEG 2000.
- The size of a base image cannot exceed 10 MB.
- The total pixels of a base image cannot exceed 16,777,216 pixels.
Note If a base image is in GIF format, the product of height times width is the sum of all frames. You can use tools such as ImageMagick to view the frames of GIF images.
- Limits on edited images
- The total pixels of an edited image cannot exceed 16,777,216 pixels.
- If you want to convert an edited image to the WebP format, the total pixels of the image cannot exceed 16,777,216 pixels. The width or height cannot exceed 16,384 pixels.