The first step when you start using IoT Platform is to create products. A product is a collection of devices that typically have the same features. For example, a product can refer to a product model and a device is then a specific device of the product model.
- Log on to the IoT Platform console.
- In the left-side navigation pane, click Create Product. , and then click
- Enter all the required information and then click OK.
The parameters are as follows.
Parameter Description Product Name The name of the product that you want to create. The product name must be unique within the account. For example, you can enter the product model as the product name. A product name is 4 to 30 characters in length, and can contain Chinese characters, English letters, digits, and underscores. A Chinese character counts as two characters. Node Type
- Device: Indicates that devices of this product cannot be mounted with sub-devices. This kind of device can connect to IoT Platform directly or as a sub-device of a gateway device.
- Gateway: Indicates that devices of this product connect to IoT Platform directly and can be mounted with sub-devices . A gateway can manage sub-devices, maintain topological relationships with sub-devices, and synchronize topological relationships to IoT Platform.
For more information about gateway devices and sub-devices, see Gateways and sub-devices.
Connect to GatewayNote This parameter appears if the node type is Device. Indicates whether or not devices of this product can be connected to gateways as sub-devices.
- Yes: Devices of this product can be connected to a gateway. If you select Yes here, you are required to select a gateway connection protocol under Network Connection and Data.
- No: Devices of this product cannot be connected to a gateway. If you select No here, you are required to select a network connection method under Network Connection and Data.
Gateway Connection ProtocolNote This parameter appears if you select Yes for Connect to Gateway . Select a protocol for sub-device and gateway communication.
- Custom: Indicates that you want to use another protocol as the connection protocol for sub-device and gateway communication.
- Modbus: Indicates that the communication protocol between sub-devices and gateways is Modbus.
- OPC UA: Indicates that the communication protocol between sub-devices and gateways is OPC UA.
- ZigBee: indicates that the communication protocol between sub-devices and gateways is ZigBee.
- BLE: indicates that the communication protocol between sub-devices and gateways is BLE.
Network Connection MethodNote This parameter appears if you select No for Connect to Gateway. Select a network connection method for the devices:
- Cellular (2g/3g/4G)
Data Type Select a format in which devices exchange data with IoT Platform. Options are ICA Standard Data Format (Alink JSON) and Do not parse/Custom.
- ICA Standard Data Format (Alink JSON): The standard data format defined by IoT Platform for device and IoT Platform communication.
- Do not parse/Custom: If you want to customize the serial data format, select Do not parse/Custom. Custom formatted data must be converted to Alink JSON script by Data parsingso that your devices can communicate with the IoT Platform.
Product Description Describe the product information. You can enter up to 100 characters.
After the product is created successfully, you are automatically redirected to the Products page.
What to do next
- To configure features for a product (such as Notifications, TSL (Define Feature), and Service Subscription), go to the product list, find the target product and then click its corresponding View button.
- Register devices on IoT Platform.
- Develop your physical devices by referring to Developer Guide (Devices).
- To publish a product, go to the product details page and click Publish.
Note that before you publish a product, you must make sure that you have configured all the correct information for the product, have completed debugging the features, and have verified that it meets the criteria for being published.
When the product status is Published, you can view the product information but cannot modify or delete the product.
To cancel the publishing of a product, click Cancel Publishing.