You can convert the public IP address of a VPC-type instance to an Elastic IP address (EIP), and then unbind the EIP from the instance and bind the EIP to another instance at any time. Address conversion does not affect the access from the Internet to your ECS instance or cause transient network outage.
- The instance is assigned a public IP address.
- If the instance is a pay-as-you-go instance, your account has no overdue payments.
- If the instance is a subscription instance, the instance must not be within 24 hours before expiry.
- If the instance is a subscription instance, the instance uses Pay-By-Traffic billing method for Internet usage. You can change the billing method for Internet usage from Pay-By-Bandwidth to Pay-By-Traffic by upgrading or downgrading instance configurations. For more information, see Overview of instance upgrade and downgrade.
- If the instance type has been changed, wait until the change takes effect before you make the address conversion.
- The instance is in the Running or Stopped state.
- The billing method for Internet usage remains unchanged.
- The EIP is billed separately. For more information about EIP billing, see Billing overview. You can go to the Billing Management console. In the left-side navigation pane, click Usage Records, and select Elastic IP from the Product Name drop-down list to export EIP usage records.
This section describes how to convert the public IP address of a VPC-type ECS instance to an EIP by using the ECS console. You can also convert the IP address by calling the ConvertNatPublicIpToEip operation. To call this operation, use SDK 4.3.0 or later. For more information, see SDK overview.
- Log on to the ECS console.
- In the left-side navigation pane, choose .
- In the top navigation bar, select a region.
- Find the target instance whose network type is VPC, and then choose in the Actions column.
- In the dialog box that appears, confirm the information, and click OK.
- Refresh the instance list.
After the public IP address is converted to an EIP, the public IP address is marked by (EIP).
You can click the EIP to go to the Elastic IP Addresses page in the VPC console to manage the EIP.
What to do next
- Unbind the EIP from the instance and bind the EIP to another instance, or release the EIP. For more information, see Unbind an Elastic IP address from a cloud instance.
- Add the EIP to a shared bandwidth plan to save costs. For more information, see Add Elastic IP addresses to an Internet Shared Bandwidth instance, Select a product to gain access to the Internet, and Reduce Internet costs.