This topic describes how to convert the public IP address of an ECS instance in a VPC to an Elastic IP Address (EIP). After conversion, the public IP address is retained. You can keep the public IP address bound to the instance, or bind it to another instance. Converting the public IP address does not affect public access to your ECS instance, and does not cause transient traffic interruptions.
- The ECS instance has been assigned a public IP address.
- If the ECS instance is a subscription instance, you cannot convert the address within 24 hours prior to instance expiration.
- If the ECS instance is a pay-as-you-go instance, your account must not have any overdue payments.
- If the instance type of the ECS instance has been changed, wait until the change takes effect.
- You have stopped the ECS instance or the ECS instance is in the Running state. For more information, see Start or stop an instance.
This section describes how to convert the public IP address of an ECS instance in a VPC to an EIP by using the ECS console. You can also convert the IP address by calling the ConvertNatPublicIpToEip operation. To call this operation, use SDK 4.3.0 or later. Download the latest SDK.
- Log on to the ECS console.
- In the left-side navigation pane, choose .
- In the top navigation bar, select a region.
- Find the target instance with the VPC network type, and then choose from the Actions column.
- In the dialog box that appears, confirm the information, and click OK.
- Refresh the instance list.
After the public IP address is converted to an EIP, the original IP address is followed by (EIP).
You can click the EIP to go to the EIP console to manage the EIP.
What to do next
- Unbind the EIP from the instance and bind it to another instance, or release it. For more information, see Disassociate an EIP from a cloud instance.
- Add EIPs to an Internet Shared Bandwidth instance to save costs. For more information, see Select a product to gain access to the Internet and How to save Internet cost.