Disclaimer: This topic may contain information about third-party products. The information is for reference only. Alibaba Cloud does not make guarantees or warranties, express or implied, with respect to the performance and reliability of third-party products, and potential impacts of operations on the products.
OBS is short for Open Broadcaster Software. It is a free live streaming content production software that supports OS X, Windows, and Linux operating systems. It is suitable for a variety of live streaming scenarios and meets the operational requirements of most live streaming behaviors. This article mainly introduces the common setting methods of OBS tools in live streaming scenarios.
Please download the latest software from the OBS official website based on the version suitable for your operating system OBS official download. After the download is complete, follow the guide to complete the installation.
Obtain the live ingest URL
For more information about how to obtain the live ingest URL, see the following:
- Log on to the ApsaraVideo Live console.
- In the left-side navigation pane, choose .
- Select the domain name to be queried and enter AppName and StreamName.
- Click Live URL in the Actions column to view the transcoding and format of the live URL.
Configure the key parameters of OBS as follows:
- Open OBS software and click Settings. The Settings dialog box appears.
- In the Output section of the General tab, select Automatic video recording during ingestion.
Note: If you need to record live streaming, we recommend that you back up the recording locally during live streaming because the network environment is complex.
- In the left-side navigation pane, click Ingest and enter the streaming URL. The ingest URL is divided into server and stream key. For more information about the live ingest URL, see Obtain the live ingest URL.
- Server: Enter the address before the app that contains the live ingest URL.
- Stream Key: Enter the URL that contains the stream in the URL field.
Note: By default, plaintext is not displayed in the stream key of OBS for Mac and OBS for Windows. After authentication is enabled, the authentication parameters are also included in the stream key of OBS for Mac and OBS for Windows.
- Click OK to configure the streaming URL.
- In the left-side navigation pane, click Output. Set the output mode to Advanced, Set the keyframe interval to 3, Set the CPU preset Set veryfast, Set Set high.
Note : The larger the bitrate of video or audio, the larger the required bandwidth.
- In the left-side navigation pane, click Video to configure the resolution.
Note:common video resolution and ratio comparison table is as follows:
- The output resolution determines the definition of the video that is watched by users. The higher the resolution, the clearer the video is.
- FPS is the video frame rate, which controls the smoothness of video viewing. The normal video frame rate has 24 to 30 frames, and the picture below 16 frames looks stuck. Video games have higher requirements for frame rates. If the frame rate of a video game is lower than 30 FPS, the video game does not smoothly run.
Aspect ratio Resolution Aspect ratio Resolution Aspect ratio Resolution 4:03 2048x1536 1600x1200 1400x1050 1152×864 1024x768 800x600 640x480 16:09 1920x1080 1600×900 280x720 16:10 2560x1600 1920x1200 1680x1050 1440x900 1280x800 1366x768 960x600 800x480
- In the left-side navigation pane, click Advanced. In the Stream Latency section, set the latency to reduce the live streaming latency.
- In the Source section, right-click the source of the live stream.
- Click Start Stream Ingest to push the live stream.
Edit live streaming sources
OBS allows you to edit live streaming sources in a quick and convenient way. For example, you can add scenes to live streaming and switch between live streaming sources.
Select the following scenarios based on the actual situation. You can switch between the scenarios and the source content as needed.
Image: allows you to display an image.
Image Slide Show: allows you to display multiple images on a loop or in order. This feature is suitable for the live streaming of meetings and classes.
Scene: allows you to deliver amazing effects for live streaming. An entire scene can be added to the current scene.
Media Source: allows you to add on-premises videos as live streaming sources.
Text (GDI+): allows you to add text to the live streaming window.
Monitor Collection: You can dynamically capture the operations on the desktop of your computer in real time. All operations on the desktop of your computer are broadcast live.
- Browser: Any content running in the browser (of course, within a reasonable range) can be directly added to OBS,
Game Source: Allows you to broadcast games from specified sources. This parameter is applicable to live broadcasts of games of different sizes.
Window Capture: You can perform real-time dynamic capture based on the selected window. The advantage of using window capture is that only the content of your current window is displayed in live streaming, and other windows are not captured in live streaming. This feature is suitable for the live streaming of courses that illustrate how to use software or other tools step by step.
Color Source: Use this source to add a color block to your scene as a background color. The transparency of the color block can be adjusted to make the background transparent.
Video capture device: A real-time dynamic capture device that can capture the captured images live. This feature is suitable for the live streaming of entertainment shows and video conferences.
Audio Input Collection: used in live audio activities (audio input devices).
Audio output collection: used in live audio activities (audio output devices).
Studio mode provides an interface for real-time editing of the currently live content.
The module features are described as follows:
- In the window on the left side, you can prepare and edit materials for live streaming. The window on the right shows the content that is streamed.
- Click the Settings button on the right side of Transition Effects to set the conversion mode.
- When the screen needs to be switched, the transition effect settings are executed.
- You can click the plus sign (+) on the right side of the Quick Transition Effects tab.
Why do stuttering and frame drops occur when I use OBS for stream pushing?
OBS has frame loss monitoring data. If you find frame loss, you must first check whether the bandwidth resources are sufficient and whether the upload speed meets the requirements of live streaming. At the same time, try to reduce the video resolution appropriately. For more information, see Frame loss and general connection issues on the OBS official website.
Check whether your CPU is heavily loaded. If the computer configuration is too low and the computer resources are fully occupied, the smoothness of the video will also be affected.
- ApsaraVideo Live