If you have selected external databases on Elastic Compute Service (ECS) as the source instance while configuring the connection method for data migration tasks in Data Transmission Service (DTS), the ECS instance and the target Relational Database Service (RDS) instance must belong to the same Alibaba Cloud account.
If you want to migrate data from an external database in the source ECS instance to the RDS instance under a different Alibaba Cloud account, you must select On-premises databases for the source instance type, and configure the ECS connection address.
This topic describes how to use DTS to migrate data from external databases on ECS to RDS instances under different Alibaba Cloud accounts.
- Data migration between ECS instances and RDS instances under two Alibaba Cloud accounts.
- Data migration between CloudTmall instances, Alibaba Cloud ECS instances, and RDS instances.
- Data migration between Alibaba Cloud, Financial Cloud ECS instances, and RDS instances.
Before you migrate, you need to create a migration account on the source and target instances first. Different database types have different requirements on migration account permissions. For more information about specific permission requirements, see topics on Data migration.
Migration from external MySQL databases on ECS to RDS instances is taken as an example to describe how to use DTS to migrate data from external databases on ECS to RDS instances under two Alibaba Cloud accounts. The same procedure applies to data migration with databases of other types.
Log on to the DTS console, click Create Migration Task in the upper-right corner of the console to configure the task.
Configure the instance connection.
Specify the migration task name and configure the connection information about the source and target instances in migration. Specifically:
- Task name
By default, DTS generates a name for every task automatically. The task name needs not to be unique. You can modify the name. We recommend that you specify a name that indicates specific services so that the task can be easily identified.
Source instance connection information
- Instance type: Select On-premises databases
- Database type: Select MySQL
- Host name or IP address: The address for accessing MySQL
- Port: The port on which MySQL listens
- Database account: The account to acess the MySQL instance
- Database password: The password of the account to access the MySQL instance
Target instance connection
- Instance type: Select the RDS Instance.
- RDS instance ID: ID of the RDS instance
- Database account: The account to access the RDS instance
- Database password: The password of the account to access the RDS instance
3.Configure the migration type and the migration object.
After the configuration is complete, continue to the pre-check.
Before the migration task starts, a pre-check is performed. Only after the pre-check is passed, the migration can start successfully.
If a pre-check fails, you can click Details next to a specific item to view its failure details, and perform the pre-check again after you fix errors based on the cause of the failure.
After the pre-check is passed, you can start the migration task.
You have completed the configuration for using DTS to perform a data migration task from external databases hosted on ECS to RDS instances under two Alibaba Cloud accounts.