ApsaraDB RDS is a stable, reliable, and scalable online database service that is based on Apsara Distributed File System and high-performance solid-state drives (SSDs) of Alibaba Cloud. ApsaraDB RDS supports the MySQL, SQL Server, PostgreSQL, PPAS (highly compatible with Oracle), and MariaDB database engines. It provides a portfolio of solutions for disaster recovery, backup, restoration, monitoring, and migration to facilitate database operations and maintenance (O&M).
Why ApsaraDB RDS
ApsaraDB RDS allows you to build a stable and reliable database system with a few clicks. ApsaraDB RDS has the following benefits compared with self-managed databases:
- Cost-effectiveness and ease of use. You can select flexible billing methods, change database configurations on demand, and obtain an out-of-the-box database service.
- High performance. ApsaraDB RDS provides suggestions to optimize parameter settings and SQL-based queries.
- High-availability architecture and multiple disaster recovery solutions.
- High security. ApsaraDB RDS provides various preventive measures to protect data.
ApsaraDB RDS has significant benefits in terms of cost-effectiveness, availability, reliability, ease of use, and performance. The total cost is about one third of the expense that is required to build self-managed databases on Elastic Compute Service (ECS) instances. This equals about one tenth of the expense that is required to build databases on your own physical servers.
For more information, see Pricing, billable items, and billing methods.
For more information about the terms, basic operations, and advanced operations of ApsaraDB RDS, visit the RDS Learning Path page.
Methods to manage RDS instances
- ApsaraDB RDS console: The console provides an easy-to-use web-based graphical user interface (GUI). For more information, log on to the ApsaraDB RDS console.
- Command-line interface (CLI): All the operations that are supported in the ApsaraDB RDS console can be performed by using the CLI. For more information, see What is Alibaba Cloud CLI?
- SDK: All the operations that are supported in the ApsaraDB RDS console can be performed by using SDKs. For more information, see SDK reference.
- API: All the operations that are supported in the ApsaraDB RDS console can be performed by calling API operations. For more information, see List of operations by function.
- Quick start: This guide walks you through the procedure of creating an RDS instance to the procedure of connecting to the RDS instance. For more information, see General workflow to use ApsaraDB RDS.
- Data Management (DMS): You can log on to the RDS instance by using DMS. Then, you can manage the databases of the RDS instance by using a web-based GUI. For more information, see Use DMS to log on to an ApsaraDB RDS for MySQL instance
- Database client: ApsaraDB RDS is compatible with native database protocols. This allows you to connect to an RDS instance by using common database clients, such as MySQL Workbench, SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS), and pgAdmin.
ApsaraDB RDS supports a wide range of features, such as instance management (including instance creation and specification changes), backup and restoration, log audit, and monitoring and alerting. For more information, see the following topics:
FAQ and troubleshooting
Before you create an RDS instance, we recommend that you fully understand the following terms:
- Instance: a virtualized database server on which you can create and manage a number of databases.
- Region: a physical data center in which the physical servers that host instances reside. In most cases, we recommend that you create RDS instances and ECS instances in the same region to ensure fast, stable access.
- Zone: a physical location that is provided with independent power supplies and networks in a region. Zones in the same region provide the same services.
- Database engine: ApsaraDB RDS supports the MySQL, SQL Server, PostgreSQL, PPAS (highly compatible with Oracle), and MariaDB database engines. For more information, see Quick Start.
- Network type: You can create an RDS instance in the classic network or a virtual private cloud (VPC). VPC is a type of isolated virtual network that is provided by Alibaba Cloud. It is more secure than the classic network. We recommend that you select the VPC network type.
- Edition: ApsaraDB RDS provides the Basic Edition, High-availability Edition, Cluster Edition, and Enterprise Edition. For more information, see Overview of ApsaraDB RDS editions.
- Instance family: ApsaraDB RDS provides the shared, general-purpose, and dedicated instance families. For more information, see Instance families.
- Storage type: ApsaraDB RDS supports local SSDs, standard SSDs, and enhanced SSDs. For more information, see Storage types.
- ECS: ECS provides high-performance cloud servers. ECS and RDS instances that reside in the same region can communicate over an internal network. This ensures the optimal performance of the RDS instances. ECS and RDS instances are used in combination within a typical service access architecture.
- ApsaraDB for Redis: ApsaraDB for Redis is an in-memory database service that persists data on disks. You can use ECS, ApsaraDB RDS, and ApsaraDB for Redis in combination to handle a large number of read requests within a short period of time.
- ApsaraDB for MongoDB: ApsaraDB for MongoDB is a stable, reliable, and scalable database service that is compatible with the MongoDB protocol. You can store structured data in ApsaraDB RDS and unstructured data in ApsaraDB for MongoDB to meet diverse business requirements.
- MaxCompute: MaxCompute (previously known as ODPS) is a fully hosted data warehousing solution that can process terabytes (TB) or petabytes (PB) of data at fast speeds. MaxCompute supports comprehensive data import solutions and various classic distributed computing models. These solutions and models can be used to import large amounts of data from RDS instances into MaxCompute. Then, you can process the data by using MaxCompute.
- Data Transmission Service (DTS): DTS allows you to migrate data from on-premises databases to RDS instances and migrate data between RDS instances for disaster recovery.
- OSS: Object Storage Service (OSS) is a secure, cost-effective, and highly reliable cloud storage solution. It allows you to store large amounts of data on the cloud.