ApsaraDB for RDS is a stable, reliable, and scalable online database service. Built with a distributed file system of Alibaba Cloud and integrated with high-performance SSDs, ApsaraDB for RDS supports the following database engines: MySQL, SQL Server, PostgreSQL, Postgre Plus Advanced Server (PPAS) (highly compatible with Oracle), and MariaDB TX. ApsaraDB for RDS provides a complete suite of database operation and maintenance (O&M) solutions, such as disaster recovery, backup, restoration, monitoring, and migration.
For more information about the concepts, basic operations, and advanced operations of ApsaraDB for RDS, visit RDS Learning Path.
For more information, see Pricing, billing items, and billing methods.
Methods to manage ApsaraDB for RDS instances
- ApsaraDB for RDS console: The console provides an easy-to-use graphical web UI. To log on to the ApsaraDB for RDS console, click here.
- Command line interface (CLI): All of the operations that are available in the ApsaraDB for RDS console can be performed by using the CLI. For more information, see What is Alibaba Cloud CLI?
- SDK: All of the operations that are available in the ApsaraDB for RDS console can be performed by using an SDK. For more information, see SDK reference.
- API: All of the operations that are available in the ApsaraDB for RDS console can be performed by calling API operations. For more information, see API overview.
- Quick start: This guide describes how to create and connect to an RDS instance. For more information, see General workflow to use RDS for MySQL.
- Alibaba Cloud Data Management (DMS): You can connect to your RDS instance by using DMS and develop databases on a web UI. For more information, see Log on to an RDS MySQL instance through DMS.
- Client: ApsaraDB for RDS is compatible with native database protocols. This allows you to connect to your RDS instance by using a common database client. These clients include MySQL-Front, SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS), and pgAdmin.
ApsaraDB for RDS supports a wide range of features, such as instance management (including instance creation and specification changing), backup and restoration, log audit, and monitoring and alerting. For more information, see the following topics:
FAQ and troubleshooting
Before you create an ApsaraDB for RDS instance, we recommend that you understand the following concepts:
- Instance: a virtual database server, on which you can create and manage more than one database.
- Region: a physical data center, where the physical servers that host instances reside. In normal cases, we recommend that you create your RDS and ECS instances in the same region to ensure fast and stable access.
- Zone: a physical location, which is provided with independent power supplies and networks in a region. Zones in the same region provide the same services.
- Database engine: ApsaraDB for RDS supports the MySQL, SQL Server, PostgreSQL, PPAS (highly compatible with Oracle), and MariaDB database engines. For more information, see Quick Start.
- Network type: You can create your RDS instance in a classic or Virtual Private Cloud (VPC) network. VPC is an isolated network environment that is built on Alibaba Cloud. It is more secure than a classic network. We recommend that you select the VPC network type to meet your business requirements.
- Edition: ApsaraDB for RDS provides three editions. These editions are Basic Edition, High-availability Edition, and Cluster Edition. For more information, see ApsaraDB for RDS edition overview.
- Instance family: ApsaraDB for RDS provides three instance families. These families are general-purpose instance family, dedicated instance family, and dedicated host instance family. For more information, see Instance families.
- Storage type: ApsaraDB for RDS supports three types of storage media. These media are local SSDs, standard SSDs, and enhanced SSDs. For more information, see Storage types.
- Elastic Compute Service (ECS): ECS is a high-performance, stable, reliable, and scalable IaaS-level service provided by Alibaba Cloud. If your ECS and RDS instances reside in the same region, they can communicate over an internal network. This allows you to ensure the optimal performance of your RDS instance. Using ECS and ApsaraDB for RDS in combination is a typical service access scenario.
- ApsaraDB for Redis: ApsaraDB for Redis is a database service that allows you to persistently store data in the memory. You can use ECS, ApsaraDB for RDS, and ApsaraDB for Redis in combination to handle a large number of read requests and reduce the response time.
- ApsaraDB for MongoDB: ApsaraDB for MongoDB is a stable, reliable, and scalable database service that is compatible with the MongoDB Wire Protocol. If you need to store both structured and unstructured data, you can store the structured data in ApsaraDB for RDS and the unstructured data in ApsaraDB for MongoDB.
- MaxCompute: MaxCompute (previously known as ODPS) is a fast, fully hosted data warehousing solution that can process terabytes or petabytes of data. MaxCompute supports comprehensive data import solutions and various classic distributed computing models. These solutions and models allow you to import data from RDS instances into MaxCompute and compute large amounts of data at fast speeds.
- Data Transmission Service (DTS): DTS allows you to migrate data from on-premises databases to RDS instances and migrate data between RDS instances for disaster recovery.
- Object Storage Service (OSS): OSS is a secure, cost-effective, and highly reliable cloud storage solution. It allows you to store large amounts of data on the cloud.