To guarantee proper operation of your ECS instance, you must take the considerations outlined in this section into account before use.
Alibaba Cloud prohibits you from:
- Using your instance for flow-through services. Any violation results in punishment up to shutdown and lockout of instance, and termination of services.
- Activating SELinux.
- Uninstalling hardware related drivers.
- Arbitrarily modifying the MAC address of the network adapter.
- For an ECS with more than 4 GB RAM, we recommend that you use a 64-bit OS, because a 32-bit OS supports a maximum of 4 GB RAM. Currently available 64-bit systems include:
- Aliyun Linux
- SUSE Linux
- 32-bit Windows OS supports CPUs with up to 4 cores.
- A minimum of 2 GB RAM is needed for buiding a website on a Windows instance, and an instance type with 1 vCPU core and 1 GB RAM cannot be used for MySQL service.
- To guarantee service continuity and avoid service downtime, you must enable auto-start of service applications upon OS boot.
- For I/O-optimized instances, do not stop the aliyun-service process.
- We do not recommmend that you update the kernel and the OS.
To guarantee stable system operation, DO NOT:
- Modify the content of the default
/etc/issuefile. Modifying this file renders management console buttons unusable.
- Modify directory permissions in partitions, particularly permissions for directories such as
/lib. Improper modification of permissions may cause errors.
- Rename, delete, or disable the Linux root account.
- Compile or perform any other operations on the Linux kernel.
- Enable the NetWorkManager service. This service conflicts with the internal network service of the system and causes network errors.
- Do not close the built-in shutdownmon.exe process, which may delay the restart of your Windows server.
- Do not rename, delete, or disable the Administrator account.
- We do not recommend that you use virtual memory.