By Justin Cook, Alibaba Cloud MVP
ApsaraDB Relational Database Service for SQL Server is a fully managed service on Alibaba Cloud that allows you to run relational databases seamlessly and at scale, with added features such as comprehensive updates, failover, and data backups. ApsaraDB for RDS support for many different database engines, one of which is SQL Server.
Instead of traditional SQL Server on-premises, where the administrator will need full control over the DB instance, backups, clustering, etc., ApsaraDB RDS for SQL Server offers the following features:
• Easy to build: Built-in monitoring, patching included for the DB, OS, and hardware
• Compliance: Alibaba Cloud offers ISO 20000, SOC, and PCI-DSS standards, Grade III Protection of Information Security and more
• Performance: Built-in schema optimization as well as scaling up the compute and storage layer are easy with little downtime. Users can also utilize a primary-standby architecture. Basic instances and High availability instances are also available (The high availability instance currently supports SQL Server 2008 R2/2012SE & EE/2016SE & EE)
Note: Each high availability instance consists of a primary instance and a standby instance that are deployed on different servers and automatically synchronize data with each other. When the primary instance is unavailable, the system automatically switches the database connection to the standby instance.
• Encryption: ApsaraDB RDS for SQL Server offers data encryption at-rest as well as in transit with SSL/TLS. Also, Transparent Data Encryption (where data is automatically encrypted once you migrate to alternative disks) is supported.
• Security: ApsaraDB RDS for SQL Server can connect with many Alibaba Cloud managed security guardrails include SSL link encryption, IP whitelisting, SQL injection prevention and more.
• Networking: ApsaraDB RDS for SQL Server provides native support for VPC networks. The service also allows simultaneous access from public and internal networks. You can switch between the classic network and VPC network easily. This eliminates network silos and speeds up data transmission.
• Monitoring: Alibaba Cloud ApsaraDB RDS for SQL Server utilizing CloudMonitor provide stellar monitoring metrics such as CPU utilization, IOPS, network connections, and disk utilization, and can send alarms based on your settings. You can also track all information collected from ApsaraDB for RDS and record all requests to your database.
• Migrations: Data Transmission Service (DTS) for ApsaraDB RDS for SQL Server allows you to do migrations seamlessly. You use either DBS or DTS depending on need. All these solutions help small and large enterprises reduce the total cost of ownership (TCO) and complete digital transformation in the cloud first era.
• BCDR (Business Continuity Disaster Recovery): ApsaraDB RDS for SQL Server supports the hybrid cloud disaster recovery via the service of DBS. You can also back up data from your on-premises SQL Server databases to the cloud and use the backup to restore data to ApsaraDB RDS for SQL Server with the cloud ecosystem.
• AD Integration: ApsaraDB RDS for SQL Server integrates with Microsoft AD and is compatible with Microsoft's enterprise application ecosystem. This greatly augments shops that already have a Microsoft foundation and user base and helps migrate on-premises SQL Server databases to the cloud or build a hybrid-cloud architecture.
• Pricing: Competitive pricing that challenges all cloud providers with shared and dedicated instances
In summary, Alibaba Cloud ApsaraDB RDS for SQL Server is a sturdy, efficient and elastic online database service that is widely used in a global setting from small organizations to large enterprises. Based on Alibaba Cloud distributed file system and high-performance SSD storage, ApsaraDB for RDS supports SQL Server database engines and provides a flexible database ecosystem that can stabilize organizations and provide business continuity disaster recovery, scalability, and expansion roadmaps for growing organizations.
Alibaba Clouder - February 26, 2019
Alibaba Clouder - August 6, 2020
Alibaba Clouder - July 5, 2019
ApsaraDB - January 17, 2022
Alibaba Clouder - May 27, 2019
ApsaraDB - March 19, 2020
Designed to address database challenges such as ultra-high concurrency, massive data storage, and large table performance bottlenecks.Learn More
PolarDB is a cloud-native relational database compatible with MySQL, PostgreSQL, and Oracle.Learn More
Mitigate the scalability problem of single machine relational databases for large-scale online databases.Learn More
An on-demand database hosting service for MySQL, SQL Server and PostgreSQL with automated monitoring, backup and disaster recovery capabilitiesLearn More