This article is about using Kubernetes, you should know [Editor's words] this is an article introducing the advantages, limitations and roadmap of Kubernetes. etcd provides reliable and efficient configuration management services for distributed systems and plays an increasingly important role in Docker, Kubernetes, and Mesos platforms. As a project started in 2013, it is still very young, and there is a lack of comprehensive and systematic introduction to implementation in official documents. This course introduces the implementation of etcd in a simple way, it also provides system guidance and suggestions for O & M and secondary development. Kubernetes is widely used in container orchestration and cloud native application management. Compared with other orchestration engines, PaaS platforms, and host solutions, Kubernetes-based communities and ecosystems have obvious advantages. This part involves some key factors that customers may consider when adopting Kubernetes.
- Kubernetes has a clear governance model . kubernetes is managed by the Linux Foundation. At the same time, Google is actively promoting product functions and roadmap and integrating with other ecosystems.
- Kubernetes ecosystem is growing and full of vitality , therefore, the enterprise is full of confidence in the long-term existence of Kubernetes. Huawei, IBM, Intel and Red Hat have all made outstanding contributions to the project.
- Commercial value of Kubernetes , become the favor of manufacturers, we will see that in the next few months, there will be continuous announcements of new features.
- Although the commercial edition grew as expected, Kubernetes insisted on avoiding relying on and locking suppliers. , kubernetes adopts active community participation and ecosystem support.
- Kubernetes supports a wide range of deployment options. , customers can choose bare metal, virtualization, private, public, and hybrid cloud deployment. Enjoy a wide range of delivery modes, from private deployment to cloud-based services.
- Kubernetes design focuses on O & M. Compared with developers, Kubernetes is the first choice for DevOps.
- Commercial enterprise-level private PaaS products meet customers' customized requirements for PaaS platforms , such as OpenShift and Apprenda.
- Kubernetes reduce the specifications of Other PaaS platforms , flexible service discovery and integration model, easy for developers to package Kubernetes applications.
- stateful applications supported by Kubernetes are still changing. . In current version 1.4, we do not recommend running transactional databases and big data workloads.
- Lack of support for Microsoft Windows this is another major gap between Kubernetes ecosystem. No vendor provides Windows containers and Hyper-V containers that are integrated and run on the Microsoft platform.
- Kubernetes is still a relatively young project , there are still some concerns about using Kubernetes in production. Although there are many successful examples, for new Kubernetes users, do not rush to use it in the production environment.
- Kubernetes does not support real multi-tenancy. (As of November 2016), customers who need a strong isolation and independent governance model need to find another solution.
- Fragmentation of plug-ins and plug-ins will be a challenge. , from SDN to storage and logging, there are dozens of Kubernetes tools. Some of them are active maintenance, while some stop maintenance. It is not an easy task for users to use the best tools and plug-ins in the production environment.
Road mapKubernetes ecosystem is filling the gap. Based on usage patterns and customer feedback, stateful applications are supported with the highest priority. Kubernetes future versions will release pet sets, which is a feature that can run high-availability and stateful workloads, such as Cassandra clusters and MySQL deployments. Meanwhile, Kubernetes will focus on supporting Microsoft Windows in the future. Microsoft is a powerful partner of Docker. We will see the combination of Microsoft's Azure Container Service and kubernetes ecosystems. Reducing the gap between Linux containers and Windows containers will enable the orchestration engine to seamlessly support workloads running in both environments. Kubernetes special interest group SIG is committed to supporting Windows. As enterprises use containers, it is necessary to support hybrid deployment. Kubernetes federated cluster the concept deploys container workloads in a hybrid environment. You can migrate applications across private and public clouds. Joint clusters allow applications to be portable. Applications can be managed across kubernetes hosting platforms and internal clusters managed by IT teams. Looking forward to the future, the Kubernetes includes core components and will serve as additional and optional components for open-source projects. They include monitoring, logging, user interfaces, and automation. Kubernetes 1.4 includes a rich UI that supports almost all CLI tasks. Similarly, customers can continuously deploy Kubernetes applications through integrated automation and CI/CD tools. Because Kubernetes has attracted the attention and support of the open-source ecosystem, users can enjoy more choices. A large number of container runtime, network plug-ins, storage plug-ins, monitoring, logs, and front-end tools are released. Original link: Use Cases for Kubernetes (translation: Fan Bin) ===============================================================
The original text was published: 2017-05-22
author: fan Bin
this article is from Dockerone.io, a partner of Yunqi community. For more information, see Dockerone.io.
Original title: using Kubernetes, you should know
Selected, One-Stop Store for Enterprise Applications
Support various scenarios to meet companies' needs at different stages of development