The word "DevOps" is
operationsthe combination of these two words. It facilitates collaboration between development and O & M teams to deploy code to production in an automated and repeatable manner culture .
DevOps helps teams speed up the delivery of software and services. It enables the team to better serve customers and improve its competitiveness in the market.
In short, DevOps can be defined as making development and O & M consistent through better communication and collaboration.
In this manual, you will learn:
- what Is DevOps?
- Why do I need DevOps?
- What is the difference between DevOps and traditional O & M?
- Why DevOps?
- Lifecycle of DevOps
- DevOps workflow
- what is the difference between DevOps and agility? DevOps VS Agile
- DevOps principles
- who can be a DevOps engineer?
- Roles, responsibilities, and skills of DevOps engineers
- how much money can DevOps engineers earn?
- DevOps training certification
- DevOps automation tools
- what is the future of DevOps?
- The development and O & M teams were completely isolated before DevOps was implemented.
- Testing and deployment are independent activities designed after building. Therefore, they consume more time than the actual build cycle.
- Without DevOps, team members spend a lot of time on testing, deployment, and design, rather than building projects.
- Manual code deployment causes human errors in production.
- The development and O & M teams have their own schedules. The unsynchronized time leads to further delays in production and delivery.
Improving the software delivery rate is the most urgent demand of business parties. According to Forrester Consulting Study statistics, only 17% of the teams can deliver the software fast enough. It also proves this pain point.
Let's compare the traditional software waterfall development model with DevOps to understand the changes brought about by DevOps.
Assume that an application is scheduled to go online within 2 weeks and 80% of the code is completed. The application is a new release, starting with buying a server
DevOps allows agile development teams to implement continuous integration and delivery. This helps them to bring their products to market faster.
Other important reasons:
- predictability: DevOps can significantly reduce the failure rate of new versions.
- Self-healing: you can roll back applications to earlier versions at any time.
- Maintainability: if the new version crashes or the current system is unavailable, it can be restored without any effort.
- Launch time: DevOps reduced the launch time to 50% by simplifying the software delivery process. For Internet and mobile applications, the time is shorter.
- Higher quality: DevOps helps teams improve the quality of application development.
- Risk Reduction: DevOps includes security checks in the lifecycle of software delivery. It helps reduce security risks throughout the software lifecycle.
- Elasticity: the running status of the software system is more stable and safer, and the changes are auditable.
- Cost-effectiveness: DevOps provides cost-effectiveness in software development, which is always expected by the management of Internet companies.
- Divide a large code library into small pieces: DevOps is based on agile programming methods. Therefore, it allows large code libraries to be decomposed into smaller and easy-to-manage blocks.
When to use DevOps?
When will DevOps not be used?
It should not be used in mission-critical applications such as banks, power facilities and other sensitive data sites. Such applications require strict access control for the production environment, detailed change management policies, and comprehensive data center access control policies.
DevOps is a deep integration between development and O & M. You cannot really understand DevOps without understanding its lifecycle.
The following is a brief description of the lifecycle of DevOps:
- at this stage, the entire development process is divided into small development cycles. This helps the DevOps team speed up the software development and delivery process.
- Test QA team usage
Seleniumsuch as automated testing tools to identify and fix errors in new code.
- Integration at this stage, the new function is integrated with the main branch code and tested. Continuous delivery can only be achieved through continuous integration and testing.
- During the deployment phase, the deployment process continues. Its execution mode is that any changes made in the code at any time should not affect the operation of high-traffic websites.
- Monitoring at this stage, the O & M team will be responsible for handling inappropriate system behaviors or errors found in production.
workflows allow you to arrange and separate tasks that you need most. It can also reflect its ideal process when configuring tasks.
this is a typical IT process
agile solutions to problems in communication between customers and developers
DevOps solves the problem of communication between developers and O & M personnel.
here are six essential principles when adopting DevOps:
- customer-centric: the DevOps team must be customer-centered because they are constantly investing in my products and services.
- End-to-end responsibilities: the DevOps team needs to provide performance support throughout the product lifecycle. This improves the level and quality of the product.
- Continuous improvement: DevOps culture focuses on continuous improvement to minimize waste. It continuously speeds up the improvement of products or services.
- Automation: automation is an important principle in the DevOps process. This applies not only to software development, but also to the entire infrastructure environment.
- Work as a team: in the DevOps culture role, designers, developers, and testers have been defined. What they need to do is to complete the cooperation as a team.
- Monitor and test all content: it is important for the DevOps team to have powerful monitoring and testing programs.
DevOps engineer is an IT professional who manages Code Publishing with software developers, system O & M personnel, and other IT personnel. DevOps should have hard and soft skills to communicate and collaborate with development, testing, and O & M teams.
The DevOps method requires frequent incremental changes to the code version, which means frequent deployment and testing. Although DevOps engineers need to code from scratch occasionally, it is important that they have the basic knowledge of software development languages.
DevOps engineers will work with the development team to solve the coding and scripts required to connect code elements such as libraries or software development kits.
DevOps engineers are responsible for the production and continuous maintenance of software application platforms.
The following are some roles, responsibilities, and skills of DevOps engineers:
- able to perform system troubleshooting and troubleshooting across platforms and application domains.
- Effectively manage projects through an open and standard platform.
- Improved project visibility and traceability.
- Improve development quality and reduce development costs through collaboration.
- Analyze, design, and evaluate automated scripts and systems.
- Ensure system security by using the best cloud security solution.
- DevOps engineers should have the soft skills of problem solvers and fast learners.
DevOps is one of the most popular IT majors. This is why there are many opportunities there. Therefore, even the salary level of junior DevOps engineers is quite high. In the United States, the average annual salary of junior DevOps engineers is 78,696 US dollars.
DevOps training certification can help anyone who wants to become a DevOps engineer. Authentication can be obtained from Amazon web services, Red Hat, Microsoft Academy, and DevOps Institute.
AWS Certified DevOps Engineer
The authentication has two necessary conditions: the authentication fee is $300 and the duration is 170 minutes.
red Hat provides DevOps professionals with different levels of certification as follows:
- Red Hat Certificate of Expertise in Platform-as-a-Service
- Red Hat Certificate of Expertise in Containerized Application Development
- Red Hat Certificate of Expertise in Ansible Automation
- Red Hat Certificate of Expertise in Configuration Management
- Red Hat Certificate of Expertise in Container Administration
Devops Institute is a global learning community that focuses on new DevOps practices. The organization is setting quality standards for DevOps competency. Devops Institute currently offers three courses and certifications.
The certification courses provided by the company include:
- DevOps Foundation
- DevOps Foundation Certified
- Certified Agile Service Manager
- Certified Agile Process Owner
- DevOps Test Engineering
- Continuous Delivery Architecture
- DevOps Leader
- DevSecOps Engineering
all test processes are automated and configured to achieve critical speed and flexibility. This process is called DevOps automation.
The difficulties faced by a large DevOps team that maintains a large IT infrastructure can be briefly divided into six different categories.
- Infrastructure Automation
- configuration Management
- deployment Automation
- performance Management
- log Management
let's look at the tools in each category and how they address pain points:
amazon network service (AWS): as a cloud service, you do not need to establish an actual data center. In addition, they are easy to expand on demand. No upfront hardware costs. It can be configured to automatically configure more servers based on traffic.
chef: a useful DevOps tool for improving speed, scale, and consistency. It can be used to simplify complex tasks and perform configuration management. With this tool, the DevOps team can avoid making changes on 10,000 servers. Instead, you only need to make changes in one place, which are automatically reflected in other servers.
jenkins: This tool is helpful for continuous integration and testing. It is easier to integrate project changes by quickly finding problems after building a deployment.
splunk: a tool that can solve the problem of aggregating, storing, and analyzing all logs in one place.
App Dynamic: it is a DevOps tool that provides real-time performance monitoring. The data collected by this tool can help developers debug when problems occur.
nagios: It is also important to notify relevant personnel when infrastructure and related services fail. Nagios is a tool that can help DevOps teams find and correct problems.
- The team converts the code deployment cycle to weeks and months instead of years.
- It will soon be seen that DevOps engineers can approach and manage end users more than anyone else in the enterprise.
- DevOps is becoming an important skill for IT staff. For example, a survey conducted by Linux recruitment found that 25% of interviewees were looking for DevOps jobs.
- DevOps and continuous delivery will continue. Because the company needs development, they have no choice but to change. However, it will take 5 to 10 years to mainstream the concept of DevOps.
- DevOps facilitates collaboration between development and O & M teams to deploy code to production in an automated and repeatable manner culture .
- Before DevOps, the O & M and development teams were completely independent.
- Manual code deployment causes human errors in production.
- In the old software development process, the O & M team did not know the progress of the development team. Therefore, the O & M team can only formulate infrastructure purchase and monitoring plans according to their own understanding.
- In the DevOps process, the O & M team fully understands the progress of developers. Procurement and monitoring plans are correct.
- DevOps provides maintainability, predictability, higher quality code, and more accurate release time.
- Agile processes focus on functional and non-functional preparation, while DevOps focuses on IT infrastructure.
- The lifecycle of DevOps includes development, testing, integration, deployment, and monitoring.
- DevOps engineers will work with development team staff to address coding and scripting requirements.
- DevOps engineers should have the soft skills of problem solvers and be fast learners.
- DevOps authentication can be obtained from Amazon web services,Red Hat,Microsoft Academy, and DevOps Institute
- DevOps helps teams change the code deployment cycle to weeks and months instead of years.
Original text link https://www.guru99.com/devops-tutorial.html