Alibaba Cloud Launches Cloud Services for Japan with New Data Center in Tokyo
December 15, 2016
Tokyo, December 15, 2016 - Alibaba Cloud, the cloud computing arm of Alibaba Group, today launched its services for the Japan market through a local data center hosted by SB Cloud Corporation ("SB Cloud"), a joint venture between SoftBank Corp. ("SoftBank"), the Japan-based telecom subsidiary of SoftBank Group Corp. (TOKYO: 9984), and Alibaba Group Holding Limited (NYSE: BABA) ("Alibaba Group"). The Japan data center is part of Alibaba Cloud's strategy to expand its global network coverage with new facilities also being opened in Germany, Australia and the United Arab Emirates.
The latest additions will mean that Alibaba Cloud has a physical presence in 14 economic centers around the world, including the newly announced facilities and those in Mainland China, Hong Kong, Singapore and the United States.
"The new data center in Japan will enable us to better serve the needs of existing clients who are expanding globally and require scalable and secure cloud computing services. Our global network will enable customers to truly manage their IT infrastructure in different regions with one global account," said Ethan Yu, Vice President of Alibaba Group and General Manager of Alibaba Cloud Global.
Since its launch, Alibaba Cloud's technologies have enabled all types of businesses globally, ranging from start-ups to multinational companies, to benefit from the greater operational and cost efficiency that cloud computing can provide. It offers a high-performance cloud platform that is designed to distribute and handle large volumes of traffic and data for its enterprise customers. The platform recently demonstrated its strong computing power and scalability by successfully handling a record peak order volume of 175,000 orders per second during Alibaba Group's 2016 11.11 Global Shopping Festival.
Main features of SB Cloud services:
- Virtual server services offered to Japanese users in a basic package at an affordable price of 1,200 yen per month. Customers can choose a package based on their disk space and data traffic needs. Set-up can be done on just one screen of a dedicated website without submitting disk space or other details.
- After setting up the virtual server service, customers can get started right away since the service boots in as fast as 60 seconds.
- Since the total cost of the service is always displayed on the set-up screen, customers can avoid any risk of accidentally applying for high-cost services.
- The basic security service, Anti-DDoS, is included in the package so customers can use the service with peace of mind. In addition, additional security services are available as optional services.
- As the service is denominated in Japanese yen, Japanese client companies can process expenses with ease.
About Alibaba Cloud
Established in September 2009, Alibaba Cloud (intl.aliyun.com), Alibaba Group's cloud computing arm, develops highly scalable platforms for cloud computing and data management. It provides a comprehensive suite of cloud computing services to support growing enterprises worldwide, including sellers and other third-party customers and businesses participating in Alibaba Group's online and mobile commerce ecosystem. Alibaba Cloud is a business of Alibaba Group.