This topic lists the frequently asked questions (FAQ) about domain name security.
- Has Alibaba Cloud suspended the domain name proxy service?
- How can I modify domain name information when the update prohibition lock is enabled?
- Will the update prohibition lock of a domain name remain effective after the domain name expires?
- How do I diagnose and handle DNS hijacking?
- Why is SMS verification required for configuring DNS settings?
- What can I do if my domain name is stolen?
Has Alibaba Cloud suspended the domain name proxy service?
Yes, Alibaba Cloud has suspended the domain name proxy service since May 25, 2018. To comply with temporary regulations issued by the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN), and compliance requirements stated in General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), Alibaba Cloud WHOIS no longer provides personal information about domain name holders. The Alibaba Could domain name proxy service was therefore suspended from May 25, 2018.
How can I modify domain name information when the update prohibition lock is enabled?
You must disable the update prohibition lock before you can modify domain information.
If you still want to use the update prohibition lock after you modify domain name information, enable the update prohibition lock again. For more information, see Enable the update prohibition lock.
Will the update prohibition lock of a domain name remain effective after the domain name expires?
No, the update prohibition lock of a domain name expires when the domain name expires. When the update prohibition lock expires, the update prohibition service for the domain name is disabled.
After you renew or redeem your domain name, you can enable the update prohibition lock again. For more information, see Enable the update prohibition lock.
How do I diagnose and handle DNS hijacking?
Domain Name System (DNS) servers are used to resolve domain names. When you visit a website or service through its domain name, a DNS server resolves the domain name to the IP address of the server that hosts the website or service. Requests can then be routed to the server to retrieve the requested information.
DNS hijacking is a type of DNS attack that intercepts DNS queries on a particular range of network or across the entire network to block the DNS queries or return incorrect IP addresses. As a result, users fail to access correct services or are directed to unexpected or malicious websites.
- Run the nslookup command on a Windows host or the dig command on a Linux host to check whether the domain name is resolved to the correct IP address.
- Use tools to collect and verify information about the hijacking, such as the domain names that are hijacked. Inform your Internet service provider (ISP) of the hijacking at the earliest opportunity. You can also change DNS servers to Alibaba Cloud DNS servers 220.127.116.11 and 18.104.22.168, and then check whether the domain name can be resolved correctly.
- If you are in urgent need of a service, directly use its IP address to access it.
- China Mobile: 10086.
- China Telecom: 10000.
- China Unicom: 10010.
Why is SMS verification required for configuring DNS settings?
To keep your domain name safe, Alibaba Cloud Domains may require you to complete Short Message Service (SMS) verification when you configure DNS settings through an unusual computer or network. You need to enter the verification code sent to your mobile phone to complete the verification.
- The SMS message containing the verification code may be delayed. You may need to wait a period of time. If you still cannot receive the verification code after a certain period of time, we recommend that you request another verification code at another time.
- Check whether your mobile phone can send and receive SMS messages normally. For example, check whether your phone number is out of service.
- Check whether the SMS messages are blocked by third-party security software, such as 360 Mobile Security.
- If you have tried all the preceding methods and still cannot receive a verification code, we recommend that you move your SIM card to another mobile phone and try again.
What can I do if my domain name is stolen?
Contact the domain name registrar that currently manages the stolen domain name immediately after you find that your domain name is stolen. If the domain name was hosted on Alibaba Cloud before it is stolen, Alibaba Cloud tries its best to help you recover the domain name. Two scenarios could happen when a domain name hosted on Alibaba Cloud is stolen:
- The stolen domain name is still hosted on Alibaba Cloud.
Contact Alibaba Cloud after-sales service by calling 4008013260 as soon as possible. Alibaba Cloud immediately takes measures, such as locking the domain name, to prevent domain name information from being modified or the domain name from being transferred to another registrar. You must also submit all available identity documents that can prove your identity as the domain name holder.
- The stolen domain name has been transferred to another registrar.
- Contact Alibaba Cloud
If the stolen domain name has been transferred to another registrar, contact Alibaba Cloud immediately and provide information about the theft and transfer. You can request Alibaba Cloud to contact the registrar to which the domain has been transferred to lock the domain name. This prevents domain name information from being modified or the domain name from being retransferred to another registrar.
- Contact the registrar to which the stolen domain name is transferred
If the stolen domain name has been transferred to another registrar, you can request Alibaba Cloud to contact the registrar or directly contact the registrar to submit a complaint. The registrar usually accepts the complaint within three working days and requires you to provide verification materials. Verification materials include identity documents that can prove your identity as the domain name holder and a statement. Registrars outside mainland China typically require evidence and statements to be in English.
After the registrar receives your verification materials, it verifies the materials and starts an investigation. The investigation typically takes a week. If the registrar confirms that the domain name was transferred without your consent, Alibaba Cloud creates an account at the current registrar. The current registrar transfers the stolen domain name to this account. You can contact Alibaba Cloud to obtain the account, which allows you to recover the management of the domain name. You can choose to keep the domain name in the account or transfer the domain name back to Alibaba Cloud.
- Contact Alibaba Cloud