Disclaimer: This article may contain information about third-party products. Such information is for reference only. Alibaba Cloud does not make any guarantee, express or implied, with respect to the performance and reliability of third-party products, as well as potential impacts of operations on the products.
This article describes how to enter the single user mode of a CentOS instance.
Sometimes you need to enter the single-user mode of the CentOS system and perform some special operations. Because the Alibaba Cloud server is based on the cloud platform, you must modify the grub parameters to access the single-user mode. To access the server, follow these steps.
Tips: The configurations and descriptions in this article have been tested in the CentOS 6.5 operating system. The configuration may vary in operating systems of other types and versions. For more information, see the official documentation of the operating system.
- Log on to the ECS instance console. For more information, seeCreate a snapshotTo create an ECS instance snapshot.
- After creating the instance, log on to the ECS instance and run the following command to modify
/Etc/grub. confIn the configuration file, increase the value of the timeout parameter in the configuration file, for example, to 60 seconds.
Vim/etc/grub. confA similar output is displayed.
- Log on to the Alibaba Cloud Console and restart your server. For more information, seeConnect to a Linux instance by using a management TerminalTo connect to the server.
- After you log on through the management terminal, a page similar to the following is displayed.
- PresseTo go to the kernel editing page.
- Then, enterSingle, Press the Enter key, and then pressBTo enter the single-user mode.