By applying a 301 redirect, when a visitor visits a website with a URL, the web server is set to automatically redirect to another URL and return a code 301 to the visitor.
301 redirect is used for redirecting a visitor who has searched for one URL but be directed to another. 301 redirect achieves weight transfer, is typically applied in the following scenarios:
- A website has multiple domain names, but uses a primary domain name for SEO promotion. All other domain names can be redirected to the primary domain name to achieve weight transfer.
- The domain name of a website has changed, and the new domain name is to be used for SEO promotion. The old domain name is redirected to the new domain name to achieve weight transfer.
- Some contents of a website have been adjusted and the URL cannot be used for access. The website can be redirected to achieve weight transfer.
The source and target domain names are bound to the Web Hosting instance.
- Log on to the Web Hosting console.
- On the Host List page, find the Web Hosting instance in which you want to set 301 redirect for the bound domain names and click Manage.
- Click Environment Settings > 301 Redirect Settings.
- Select the source and target domain names and click Add.