Alibaba Cloud activated its switch-to-VPC policy on June 16, 2016 at 12:00 to improve network experience. Users without ECS instances of a classic network type (instances either in running or stop status) in regions that have implemented the policy can only buy ECS instances of the VPC type in these regions. This policy will be implemented in stages according to the region.
- China South 1: January 1, 2016 at 12:00
- China North 2, Hong Kong, Asia Pacific SE 1 (Singapore), and US West 1 (Silicon Valley): February 15, 2017 at 12:00
- China East 1 (Hangzhou): March 7, 2017 at 12:00
- China East 2 (Shanghai) and China North 1 (Qingdao): March 31, 2017 at 12:00
Note: This policy only affects regions that have implemented the switch-to-VPC policy. Users can continue to buy cloud products of both a classic network type and the VPC type in regions that have not implemented this policy.
Policy 1: Users with Alibaba Cloud ECS instances before June 1, 2016 at 00:00 will not be affected by the switch-to-VPC policy. They can place orders for ECS instances of both classic network type and the VPC type if ECS instances are in stock in the region.
- If policy 1 is not applicable and you do not have ECS instances of classic network type in regions that have implemented the switch-to-VPC policy, you can only buy ECS instances of the VPC type in these regions by the time of implementation.
- If policy 1 is not applicable, but you have ECS instances of classic network type in regions that have implemented the switch-to-VPC policy, you can buy ECS instances of both classic network type and the VPC type by the time of implementation in these regions if they are in stock.
A: VPC is more secure and provides a more flexible approach for users to manage their networks.
A: Other regions will implement the switch-to-VPC policy after March 2017. Alibaba Cloud will release rolling announcements as to specific region updates when they are made official.
Q: New users can only place orders for ECS/Server Load Balancer/RDS instances of the VPC type. Can they place orders for other cloud products of classic network type and the VPC type?
A: Currently, yes. It is suggested that you purchase other cloud products of the VPC type as well; otherwise, your ability to use the products might be affected. For new users, the default network type for other cloud products will also be switched to VPC.
Q: As I can only buy cloud products of the VPC type, will it affect my ability to use the products? For example, will it affect communication with other cloud products?
A: Under normal circumstances, network communication will be unaffected, because most of Alibaba Cloud products now support VPC. Alibaba Cloud will also take great measures to ensure all cloud products in the regions that have implemented the switch-to-VPC policy can fully support VPC.
A: Currently, there is no method to check. Alibaba Cloud plan to support the query feature in OpenAPI and Management Console and will announce support when it is official.
A: The switch-to-VPC policy only affects the purchase of ECS, Server Load Balancer, and RDS instances of classic network type for new users. New users can continue to purchase other cloud products of classic network type. Ensure care is taken when selecting the network type during a purchase, as selecting an incorrect network type might affect your ability to use the products.
A: You can switch the network using the network switch feature provided by the cloud product. For detailed procedures, refer to your specific Alibaba Cloud product instructions. If the product does not offer a network switching option, you can submit a ticket to Alibaba Cloud for help (excluding ECS).