This topic provides an overview of pie charts and an example on how to use pie charts. This topic also describes how to configure pie chart styles and how to delete a pie chart.
A pie chart shows a series of data with different colors or patterns. If a pie chart has more than 12 sectors, some sectors may have repeated colors. A pie chart can also show the volume of each set of data and the proportion of each set of data in relation to the total volume of data. For example, you can use a pie chart to show the proportion of your income tax contributions in relation to your salary or the proportion of car models in relation to the total car sales.
- You must specify at least one dimension for Labels (Dim.)
- You can specify only one measure for Central Angle (Mea.).
The following example shows how to use a pie chart to compare the shipping costs of different areas. In this example, the company_sales_record dataset is used.
- Perform the operations shown in the following figure to create a dashboard.
- In the Create Dashboard dialog box, select Standard or Full Screen, and click OK. In this example, Standard is selected.
- On the dashboard edit page, click the icon. Then, a pie chart is automatically displayed in the dashboard display area.
- On the Data tab, select measures and dimensions based on your business requirements.
- In the Dimensions list, double-click area. You can also drag this dimension to the Labels (Dim.) field.
- In the Measures list, double-click shipping_cost, price, and order_amt. You can also drag these measures to the Central Angle (Mea.) filed.
- Click Update to update the pie chart. The following figure shows the updated pie chart.
You can click the icon next to Central Angle (Mea.) to modify the display name, aggregation method, and value display format of a measure. For more information, see Configure a chart.
- On the Style tab, configure parameters in the Basic Information, Chart Style, Series Settings, and Functionality Settings sections. For more information, see Configure pie chart styles.
- On the Advanced tab, configure the following parameters.
Parameter Option Description Advanced Settings Auto Refresh After you select Auto Refresh, the system refreshes the pie chart as scheduled. For example, if you select Auto Refresh, enter 5, and then select Minutes, the system refreshes the pie chart every 5 minutes. Filter Interaction After you configure Filter Interaction and click an area or field in the pie chart, data in other charts that are associated with this chart is updated. For more information, see Configure the filter interaction feature. Hyperlink After you configure Hyperlink, you are directed to the linked report when you click a field in the pie chart. You can set Hyperlink to Parameter or External Link. If you select Parameter, you must configure global parameters. For more information, see Configure the hyperlink feature.
- Click Save in the upper-right corner of the page to save the settings.
Configure pie chart styles
- In the Basic Information section, configure Show Title and Description, Description, Endnote, and Show Link.
Note If Show Link is selected, you also need to configure Link Text and Link Address. If you click a field in the pie chart, you are redirected to the linked report or an external link.You can switch between Pie and Ring.
- In the Basic Information section, configure Show Title and Description, Show Link, and Visual Style.
Parameter Description Show Title and Description
- Title: You can customize the title of a pie chart. We recommend that you name the chart in the Chart type-Chart name format.
- : You can configure the font color for the title.
- Description: You can enter a description for the title.
Show Link If you want to access a report or an external page, select Show Link and configure Link Text and Link Address. Visual Style Quick BI provides the following two visual styles: Pie and Ring.
- In the Chart Style seciton, configure Show Label, Decimal Places, Radius Ratio, Merge Data into Others, Show Total, Show Legend, and Pie Chart Color Settings.
Parameter Description Show Label Quick BI provides the following labels: Dimension, Measure, and Percentage. You can select one or more labels. Decimal Places The number of decimal places in the pie chart.Note If you select Percentage for the Show Label parameter, you can set Decimal Places. Label Display Mode Options: Smart Display and Full Display.
If you select Smart Display, only some labels are displayed. If you select Full Display, all the labels are displayed.
Radius Ratio The radius ratio of a pie chart. Merge Data into Others If you configure Merge Data into Others, all sectors except the reserved sectors are merged into the Others category.Note After you configure Merge Data into Others, the remaining sectors are sorted clockwise from the first quadrant based on their weights. For example, if you enter 3 in the Merge Data into Others field, the label of the fourth sector is Others. The color of the fourth sector is the color of the data that accounts for the largest proportion of the sector.
You can move your pointer over the Others sector to display the details about the Others sector.
Show Total If you select Show Total, the sum of measures is displayed in the pie chart. Show Legend The following figure shows the legend display modes. Pie Chart Color Settings You can customize colors for pie chart sectors.
- In the Series Settings section, configure Series and Display Name.
Parameter Description Series You can select the dimensions that you added to the Labels (Dim.) field. Display Name You can specify an alias for a dimension that is displayed in the pie chart.
- In the Functionality Settings section, select Enable Indicator Filter and configure the pie chart.
If you select Enable Indicator Filter, the icon appears in your pie chart. You can click the icon to filter measures you want to display.
Delete a chart
- Click the icon in the upper-right corner of the line chart.
- Select Delete. The line chart is deleted.