This topic provides an overview of butterfly charts and an example on how to use butterfly charts. This topic also describes how to configure butterfly chart styles and how to delete a butterfly chart.
- A butterfly chart compares data of two categories. For example, you can use a butterfly chart to compare income and education levels in different cities.
- A funnel chart shows the conversion rate at each stage of a business process, such as the percentage of visitors that become paying customers for a shopping website. Funnel charts are ideal for business process analysis.
- If no conversion relationship exists, the system uses the comparison chart to display data.
- If a conversion relationship exists, but only one comparison metric is specified, the system uses the funnel chart to display data.
- If a conversion relationship exists, and multiple comparison metrics are specified,
the system uses the butterfly chart to display data.
If you want to compare the percentage of the migrant populations, employment rates, and commercial housing transactions in Beijing and Shanghai, you can use a butterfly chart to visualize the values of the comparison metrics and the conversion rates between the metrics.
- You can specify only one dimension for Comparison Metrics (Dim.).
- You can specify 1 to 10 measures for Tier Area (Mea.).
The following example shows how to use a butterfly chart to compare the order quantities, amounts, profits, and shipping costs of different products. In this example, the company_sales_record dataset is used.
- Perform the operations shown in the following figure to create a dashboard.
- In the Create Dashboard dialog box, select Standard or Full Screen, and click OK. In this example, Standard is selected.
- On the dashboard edit page, click the icon in the top menu bar and click the Butterfly Chart icon.
- On the Data tab, select measures and dimensions based on your business requirements.
- In the Dimensions list, double-click product_type. You can also drag this dimension to the Comparison Metrics (Dim.) field.
- In the Measures list, double-click order_number, profit_amt, and shipping_cost. You can also drag these measures to the Tier Area (Mea.) field.
- Click Update to update the butterfly chart.
You can click the icon next to Tier Area (Mea.) to modify the display name, aggregation method, and value display format of a measure. For more information, see Configure a chart.
- On the Style tab, configure parameters in the Basic Information and Chart Style sections. For more information, see Configure butterfly chart styles.
- On the Advanced tab, configure the following parameters.
Parameter Option Description Advanced Settings Auto Refresh After you select Auto Refresh, the system refreshes the butterfly chart as scheduled. For example, if you select Auto Refresh, enter 5, and then select Minutes, the system refreshes the butterfly chart every 5 minutes. Filter Interaction After you configure Filter Interaction and click an area or field in the butterfly chart, data in other charts that are associated with this chart is updated. For more information, see Configure the filter interaction feature. Hyperlink After you configure Hyperlink, you are directed to the linked report when you click a field in the butterfly chart. You can set Hyperlink to Parameter or External Link. If you select Parameter, you must configure global parameters. For more information, see Configure the hyperlink feature.
- Click Save in the upper-right corner of the page to save the settings.
Configure butterfly chart styles
- In the Basic Information section, configure Show Title and Description, Description, Endnote, and Show Link.
Note If Show Link is selected, you also need to configure Link Text and Link Address. If you click a field in the butterfly chart, you are redirected to the linked report or an external link.You can set Visual Style to Standard or Conversion Analysis.
- Configure parameters in the Chart Style section based on your business requirements.
- If you set Visual Style to Standard, you need to configure Layout, Show Measure Name, Show Data Label, Conversion Rate Calculation Method, Funnel Color, Data Label Display, Display Mode, Bottom Style, and Show Legend in the Chart Style section. Note You can use the following formulas to calculate the conversion rate:
- Conversion rate from the upper layer = Measure value at the current layer/Measure value at the upper layer × 100%
- Conversion rate from the first layer = Measure value at the current layer/Measure value at the first layer × 100%
- If you set Visual Style to Conversion Analysis, you need to configure Layout, Funnel Color, and Data Label Display in the Chart Style section.
- If you set Visual Style to Standard, you need to configure Layout, Show Measure Name, Show Data Label, Conversion Rate Calculation Method, Funnel Color, Data Label Display, Display Mode, Bottom Style, and Show Legend in the Chart Style section.
Delete a chart
- Click the icon in the upper-right corner of the line chart.
- Select Delete. The line chart is deleted.