This topic describes how to create a PolarDB cluster by using the PolarDB for Oracle console.
A cluster consists of one primary node and a maximum of 15 read-only nodes. To ensure high availability, at least one read-only node is required to implement the active-active architecture. A node is a virtual database server. You can create and manage multiple databases on a node.
- PolarDB for Oracle supports only Virtual Private Cloud (VPC). Each VPC is an isolated network on Alibaba Cloud and is more secure than the classic network.
- To optimize the performance of PolarDB, PolarDB clusters must be deployed within the same internal network as other Alibaba Cloud services. We recommend that you deploy PolarDB clusters and Elastic Compute Service (ECS) instances in the same VPC to ensure the optimal performance of PolarDB. If your ECS instance is deployed in the classic network, you must migrate the ECS instance to a VPC.
- Log on to the PolarDB console.
- In the upper-left corner of the page, click Create Cluster.
- Select Subscription or Pay-As-You-Go. Note
- Subscription: If you select this billing method when you create the cluster, you must pay for compute nodes (a primary node and a read-only node) in advance. In addition, you are charged for the consumed storage resources on an hourly basis. The charge of storage resources is deducted from your account on an hourly basis. The Subscription billing method is more cost-effective than the Pay-As-You-Go billing method if you want to use the new cluster for a long period of time. You are offered larger discounts for longer subscription periods.
- Pay-As-You-Go:If you select this billing method when you create the cluster, you do not need to pay in advance. You are charged for compute nodes and the consumed storage resources on an hourly basis. These charges are deducted from your account balance on an hourly basis. We recommend that you select the Pay-As-You-Go billing method for the short-term use. You can reduce costs by releasing the cluster based on your business requirements.
- Specify the parameters described in the following table.
Parameter Description Region The region where the cluster is deployed. The region cannot be changed after the cluster is created.Note Make sure that the PolarDB cluster is created in the same region as the Elastic Compute Service (ECS) instance to which you want to connect. Otherwise, the cluster and the ECS instance can communicate only over the Internet. As a result, the performance of the cluster may be compromised. Creation Method The method used to create the PolarDB cluster.
Note You can select other options to create databases of other engines.
- Create Primary Cluster: creates a PolarDB cluster.
- Restore from Recycle: creates a cluster by restoring a backup of a deleted cluster from the recycle bin.
- Source Version: the version of the deleted cluster that you want to restore.
- Deleted Clusters: the name of the deleted cluster that you want to restore.
- Backup History: the backup that you want to restore.
Primary Availability Zone The primary zone where the cluster is deployed.
- Each zone is an independent geographical location in a region. All of the zones in a region provide the same level of service performance.
- You can choose to create your PolarDB cluster in the same zone as an ECS instance or in a different zone from the zone of the instance.
- You must specify only the primary zone. The system automatically selects a secondary zone.
Network Type This parameter can be set only to VPC. You do not need to specify this parameter. VPC
Make sure that the PolarDB cluster is created in the same VPC as the ECS instance to which you want to connect. Otherwise, the cluster and the ECS instance cannot communicate over the internal network to achieve optimal performance.
- If you have an existing VPC that meets your network requirements, select the VPC. For example, if you have an existing ECS instance and the VPC to which the ECS instance belongs meets your network requirements, select this VPC.
- Otherwise, use the default VPC and the default vSwitch.
- Default VPC:
- Only one VPC is specified as the default VPC in the region that you select.
- The default VPC uses a 16-bit subnet mask. For example, the CIDR block 172.31.0.0/16 provides up to 65,536 private IP addresses.
- The default VPC does not count towards the quota of VPCs that you can create on Alibaba Cloud.
- Default vSwitch:
- Only one vSwitch is specified as the default vSwitch in the zone that you select.
- The default VPC uses a 20-bit subnet mask. For example, the CIDR block 172.16.0.0/20 provides up to 4,096 private IP addresses.
- The default vSwitch does not count towards the quota of vSwitches that you can create in a VPC.
- Default VPC:
- If the default VPC and vSwitch cannot meet your requirements, you can create your own VPC and vSwitch. For more information, see Create and manage a VPC.
Note PostgreSQL 11 and Compatible with Oracle are not supported in the following regions: China (Qingdao), US (Virginia), UK (London), and Australia (Sydney).
- MySQL 8.0: fully compatible with MySQL 8.0. MySQL 8.0 supports parallel queries. In specific scenarios, the database performance increases by 10 times. For more information, see Parallel query.
- MySQL 5.7: fully compatible with MySQL 5.7.
- MySQL 5.6: fully compatible with MySQL 5.6.
- PostgreSQL 11: fully compatible with PostgreSQL 11.
- Compatible with Oracle: highly compatible with Oracle. For more information, see Oracle compatibility.
Edition By default, this parameter is set to Cluster . Node Specification Select node specifications based on your requirements. All nodes in the PolarDB cluster are dedicated nodes with stable and reliable performance.
For more information about compute node specifications, see Specifications and pricing.
Nodes If the source cluster edition is Cluster , the system creates a primary node and a read-only node that have the same specifications. In this case, you do not need to specify this parameter.Note If the primary node fails, the system uses the read-only node as the primary node and creates another read-only node. For more information about read-only nodes, see Architecture. Storage Cost You do not need to specify this parameter. The system charges you on an hourly basis based on the amount of storage that is consumed by your data. For more information, see Specifications and pricing.Note You do not need to specify the storage capacity when you create a cluster. The system automatically scales storage resources based on data volume. Enable TDE Specify whether to enable Transparent Data Encryption (TDE). After TDE is enabled, PolarDB encrypts the data files of your cluster. You do not need to modify the code to allow access to your cluster. However, TDE reduces the performance of your cluster by 5% to 10%.Note TDE cannot be disabled after it is enabled. Cluster Name Enter the name of the cluster. The name must meet the following requirements:
- The name cannot start with
- The name must be 2 to 256 characters in length.
If this parameter is left empty, the system automatically generates a cluster name. You can change the cluster name after the cluster is created.
Resource Group Select a resource group from available resource groups. For more information, see Create a resource group.Note A resource group is a group of resources that belong to an Alibaba Cloud account. Resource groups allow you to manage these resources in a centralized manner. A resource belongs to only one resource group. For more information, see Use RAM to create and authorize resource groups.
- Specify the Number parameter and click Buy Now. Note You can create a maximum of 50 clusters at a time. This allows you to create multiple clusters in specific scenarios. For example, you can deploy multiple game servers at a time.
- On the Confirm Order page, confirm your order information. Read and accept the terms of service, and then
click Buy Now.
The cluster is created in 10 to 15 minutes after you complete the payment. Then, the newly created cluster is displayed on the Clusters page.Note
- If nodes in the cluster are in the Creating state, the cluster is being created and unavailable. The cluster is available only when it is in the Running state.
- Make sure that you have selected the region where the cluster is deployed. Otherwise, you cannot view the cluster.
- To store a large volume of data, we recommend that you purchase PolarDB storage plans. Storage plans are more cost-effective than pay-as-you-go storage. You can obtain larger savings when you purchase larger storage capacities. For more information, see .
What to do next
Related API operations
|CreateDBCluster||Creates a PolarDB cluster.|
|DescribeDBClusters||Queries PolarDB clusters.|
|DescribeDBClusterAttribute||Queries the detailed information about a specified PolarDB cluster.|
|DescribeAutoRenewAttribute||Queries the auto-renewal of a specified subscription PolarDB cluster.|
|ModifyAutoRenewAttribute||Configures auto-renewal for a specified subscription PolarDB cluster.|