This topic describes how to restore a VMware virtual machine (VM) to an Elastic Compute Service (ECS) instance.
To ensure the service continuity and stability of a VMware VM, you can restore the VM to an on-premises vCenter Server. However, if an infrastructure failure such as an ESXi host failure or a data center failure occurs, we recommend that you use the Hybrid Backup Recovery (HBR) console to restore a VM to an ECS instance.
To restore a VMware VM to an ECS instance, perform the following steps:
- Log on to the HBR console.
- In the left-side navigation pane, choose .
- In the top navigation bar, select a region.
- Click the Backups tab. On this tab, find the backup plan and click Restore to ECS in the Actions column.
- In the Restore to ECS panel, perform the following steps and click Create.
On the Restore Jobs tab, view the progress of the restore job.
- Select the VM that you want to restore and click Next.
- In the Configure Restore Policy step, configure the parameters as described in the
Parameter Description Hostname The name of the VM after it is restored. The name must meet the following requirements:
- The name must be 2 to 64 characters in length.
- The name can be separated by periods (.) into multiple segments.
- Each segment can contain letters, digits, and hyphens (-). The name cannot contain consecutive periods (.) or hyphens (-).
- The name cannot start or end with a period (.) or a hyphen (-).
Instance Name The name of the ECS instance. VPC Select the VPC where the ECS instance resides from the VPC drop-down list. VSwitch Select the vSwitch of the VPC from the VSwitch drop-down list. Instance Family The instance type of the ECS instance. Instance Type The specifications of the ECS instance. Storage Type The storage type of the ECS instance. Valid values:
- Ultra Disk
- Standard SSD
Security Group Select the security group that is configured for the ECS instance from the Security Group drop-down list. IP Address Type The type of the IP address of the ECS instance. Valid values:
- DHCP: The system assigns a dynamic IP address to the ECS instance.
- Static: You must specify a static IP address for the ECS instance.
IP Address This parameter is required only if the IP Address Type parameter is set to Static. You can specify a static IP address for this parameter. Reboot After Restoration Specifies whether to restart the ECS instance after the restore job is completed.
After the status of the restore job changes to Completed, click the link in the Destination column to view the information about the ECS instance to which the VM is restored.