An acceleration area is the area that requires accelerated access to your service. The access mode that is required by your business determines whether you need to specify an acceleration area.
An acceleration area is a collection of Alibaba Cloud regions. Each acceleration area contains one or more Alibaba Cloud regions. When you create a Global Accelerator (GA) instance, you must select the type of accelerated IP address based on the access mode that is required by your business. The following types of accelerated IP addresses are supported: Elastic IP Address (EIP) and Anycast EIP. The type of accelerated IP address that you select determines whether you need to specify an acceleration area.
Accelerated IP address
Clients can connect to the nearest access point of the Alibaba Cloud global transmission network by sending requests to the accelerated IP address.
Types of accelerated IP addresses
|Type||Description||Supported access point||Feature||Scenario|
|EIP||The custom access mode is used. You must specify an acceleration area.
You can select an acceleration area and region based on your business requirements. GA allocates a separate EIP to each acceleration region.
|For more information about the acceleration areas and Alibaba Cloud regions that are supported by GA, see Acceleration areas and regions.||
||You can use EIPs to accelerate applications whose users are located in specific regions. This provides a consistent experience for users that use the acceleration service. Example: SaaS applications and live streaming applications.|
|Anycast EIP||The automatic access mode is used. You do not need to specify an acceleration area.
You do not need to specify an acceleration area. GA allocates an Anycast EIP to multiple regions across the globe. Users can connect to the nearest access point of the Alibaba Cloud global transmission network by sending requests to the Anycast EIP.
|The acceleration service is dependent on the access points that are supported by Anycast EIP. You can use Anycast EIPs to accelerate content delivery for clients outside the Chinese mainland. To accelerate content delivery for clients in the Chinese mainland by using Anycast EIPs, you must specify China (Hong Kong) as the acceleration region. For more information, see Access point locations.||
||Anycast EIPs are suitable for applications that use the same static IP address to provide services and do not have requirements on the regions where the clients are located. Example: online multiplayer games that use a global server architecture, cross-border e-commerce applications, and web applications.|
- By default, you cannot specify Anycast EIPs as accelerated IP addresses. If you want to use Anycast EIPs, submit a ticket.
- If you use Anycast EIPs, the GA instances and basic bandwidth plans must meet the following requirements:
- GA instances: You must select standard GA instances whose specifications are Large Ⅰ or higher.
- Basic bandwidth plans: You must select pay-by-data-transfer basic bandwidth plans whose bandwidth types are Premium. By default, you cannot use pay-by-data-transfer basic bandwidth plans. If you want to use pay-by-data-transfer basic bandwidth plans, submit a ticket.
IP protocols of accelerated IP addresses
You can specify an acceleration area and select the IP protocol of the accelerated IP address only if you select EIP as the type of accelerated IP address. If you select Anycast EIP as the type of accelerated IP address, only IPv4 is supported.
After you add an acceleration area, GA assigns an accelerated IP address to each acceleration region in the acceleration area based on the IP protocol that you select. Clients can connect to the nearest access point of the Alibaba Cloud global transmission network by sending requests to the accelerated IP address.
- IPv4: assigns an accelerated IPv4 address. The accelerated IPv4 address is used to accelerate IPv4 services for IPv4 clients.
- IPv6: assigns an accelerated IPv6 address. The accelerated IPv6 address is used to accelerate
IPv4 services for IPv6 clients.
- Only IPv6 clients in the following regions can connect to GA: China (Qingdao), China (Beijing), China (Hangzhou), China (Shanghai), China (Shenzhen), China (Heyuan), China (Guangzhou), China (Chengdu), China (Hong Kong), Singapore (Singapore), US (Virginia), and Germany (Frankfurt).
- In the same acceleration region of a GA instance, you can select one of the following IP address protocols: IPv4 or IPv6.
Acceleration areas and regions
|North China||China (Qingdao) and China (Beijing)|
|South China||China (Shenzhen), China (Heyuan), and China (Guangzhou)|
|East China||China (Hangzhou), China (Shanghai), and China (Nanjing)|
|Southwest China||China (Chengdu)|
|North America||US (Silicon Valley) and US (Virginia)|
|South America||Brazil (Sao Paulo)|
|Asia Pacific||China (Hong Kong), South Korea (Seoul), Singapore (Singapore), Malaysia (Kuala Lumpur), Japan (Tokyo), Indonesia (Jakarta), India (Mumbai), Australia (Sydney), Philippines (Manila), Thailand (Bangkok), and Vietnam (Ho Chi Minh)|
|Europe||Germany (Frankfurt) and UK (London)|
|Middle East||UAE (Dubai)|