If the images that are provided by Elastic Desktop Service (EDS) cannot meet your business requirements, you can create a custom image, upload the image to Object Storage Service (OSS), and then import the uploaded image to EDS. This topic describes the requirements, limits, and precautions for image import. This topic also describes how to import an image to EDS.
- OSS is activated. For more information, see Activate OSS.
- You are familiar with the limits on image import. This ensures that the images meet the import conditions.
- You cannot import Linux images. You can import only Windows images. However, the following
Windows versions are not supported:
- Windows XP
- Windows 7
- Windows 8
- Windows 8.1
- Windows 11
- You cannot import ISO images.
You must convert the ISO images to images in the RAW, VHD, or QCOW2 format on your local computer by using tools, such as VirtualBox.
Create a custom image
The following section describes the operations and precautions when you create a custom image by using VirtualBox.
- Use VirtualBox to create a Windows virtual machine (VM). You must install VirtualBox on your local computer, create a VM, and then install Windows on the VM.
- Start and log on to the Windows VM. We recommend that you log on to the VM by using the administrator account. If you use another account, make sure that the administrator account is still available.
- Delete a recovery partition of the Windows system. Notice If the system recovery partition is created after you create the primary partition, we recommend that you delete the system recovery partition. If you do not delete the system recovery partition, you may be unable to increase the system disk size in subsequent tasks.
- Launch Command Prompt.
diskpartin Command Prompt. The diskpart window appears.
- In the diskpart window, run the following commands to delete the system recovery partition.
- View the disk list and select the disk to which the disk partition that you want to
select disk Disk number
- View disk partitions and select the disk partition that you want to delete.
select volume Disk partition number
- Delete the partition.
delete part override
- View the disk list and select the disk to which the disk partition that you want to delete belongs.
- Disable the user account control (UAC) and firewall features. Then, download and install
Cloud Assistant. You can download Cloud Assistant from the following address:
https://aliyun-client-assist.oss-accelerate.aliyuncs.com/windows/aliyun_agent_latest_setup.exeNote After you install Cloud Assistant, make sure that Aliyun Assistant Service starts as expected. If Aliyun Assistant Service fails to be started, restart the VM and restart Aliyun Assistant Service.
- Optional: Install other software. Install the required software based on your business requirements. Do not install software such as anti-virus software and desktop management software.
- Check the information about the image.
- Check the integrity of the file system.
- Make sure that critical system files are not modified.
- Make sure that .NET Framework 4.8 or later is installed.
- Check the available space on the system disk. Make sure that the system disk has sufficient space.
- Export the image file. The ISO format is not supported. We recommend that you convert the image file from the ISO format to the RAW, VHD, or QCOW2 format.Note If your image format is invalid, you can use the qemu-img tool to convert the image format. For more information, see Convert the image file format.
Import an image
After you create the image, you must upload the image to the specified OSS bucket, and import the uploaded image to the EDS console. To import an image, perform the following steps:
- Log on to the EDS console.
- In the left-side navigation pane, choose .
- On the Images page, click Create Image.
- In the Create Image panel, click the Import Image tab.
- Obtain the address of the OSS bucket and upload the image file to the OSS bucket as
an OSS object. After you upload the image file, record the address of the OSS object
for subsequent use.
- On the Import Image tab, find the desired OSS bucket and click Obtain. The OSS bucket address that you obtain is valid for three days. You must upload the image within the validity period. If the OSS bucket address expires, obtain a new address.Note After you obtain the new address of the OSS bucket, the system automatically deletes the previous address of the OSS bucket.
- Install and log on to ossbrowser. You must use ossbrowser to upload large image files. For more information about how to install and log on to ossbrowser, see Install and log on to ossbrowser. When you log on to ossbrowser, take note of the following parameters:
- Preset OSS Path: The OSS bucket address that you obtained from the EDS console in the previous step.
- Region: The region where the OSS bucket resides.
- Click Files and upload the desired image file.
- After the image file is uploaded, click Address.
- In the dialog box that appears, click Generate and click Copy to obtain the address of the OSS object.
- On the Import Image tab, find the desired OSS bucket and click Obtain.
- On the Import Image tab, configure parameters. The following table describes the related parameters.
Parameter Description Region The region where your image resides. The OSS bucket to which the image is uploaded resides in the region. OSS Object Address The address of the OSS object that you obtained from the previous step. Image Name The name of the image. You must follow on-screen instructions to enter the name. OS Only Windows images are supported. System Disk Size (GiB) The size of the system disk. The image size must be greater than the size of the image file. Valid values: 5 to 500. Unit: GiB. GPU Driver Specifies whether to install a GPU driver. If you want to use the image to create a cloud desktop of the Graphics type, select Yes and follow on-screen instructions to select the driver that you want to install. License Type The method that is used to activate the image.
- Bring Your Own License (BYOL): uses your own license.
- Use License from Alibaba Cloud: uses Alibaba Cloud Key Management Service (KMS).
- Use Auto License: detects the image file and selects a method to activate the image.
Description The description of the image.
- Click Create.