You can split a single reserved instance into multiple reserved instances to match smaller pay-as-you-go instances. For ease of description, the reserved instance to be split is referred to as the original reserved instance. The resulting reserved instances are referred to as the destination reserved instances.
- The original reserved instance is in the Active state.
- No ongoing requests for splitting, merging, or modifying reserved instances exist.
- Reserved instances that belong to the gn6i and t5 instance families cannot be split.
- You can change the instance type of a reserved instance. However, you cannot change the instance family of a reserved instance.
- You cannot change the zone or region of a reserved instance.
- The total computing power of destination reserved instances must be equal to that of the original reserved instance. For more information about computing power, see Match between reserved instances and pay-as-you-go instances. The following figure shows an example of splitting a reserved instance.
- Log on to the ECS console.
- In the left-side navigation pane, choose .
- On the Reserved Instances page, find the original reserved instance and click Split in the Actions column.
- In the Split Reserved Instance pane, configure the names, instance types, and quantities of the destination reserved instances.
- Click OK.
After you submit the request for instance splitting, the original reserved instance enters the Updating state, and the destination reserved instances in the Creating state are displayed. You cannot cancel the ongoing request for splitting a reserved instance. If you want to roll back the change made by the splitting operation, you can merge the destination reserved instances to obtain the original reserved instance.
- If the reserved instance is split:
- The original reserved instance enters the Inactive state and expires on the hour when it is split. The price becomes USD 0.
- The destination reserved instances enter the Active state and take effect on the hour when the original reserved instance is split. If the destination reserved instances are zonal reserved instances, the type of reserved resources is updated automatically.
- If the destination reserved instances match pay-as-you-go instances, the billing discounts provided by these reserved instances are applied to the matched pay-as-you-go instances starting from the hour when the destination reserved instances take effect.
- If the original reserved instance fails to be split, this reserved instance remains active.