License Manager automates the discovery and statistics collection of cloud resources associated with licenses. This can help you monitor and manage your license usage in real time, mitigate non-compliance risks, and reduce management costs. This topic describes how to create license management tasks and the limits on license management tasks.
An increasing number of enterprise users migrate their business to the cloud, and the demand for using and managing licenses also increases. Previously, you had to manually track resource creation and license usage. Problems such as lack of monitoring of the number of licenses used, frequent creation and release of instances, and failure to update usage records in real time were common. To solve these problems, Alibaba Cloud provides License Manager to help you monitor license usage in real time.
License Manager provides simplified management and usage monitoring for your software such as Windows Server and SQL Server. This mitigates non-compliance risks that arise from overuse of licenses and reduces your management costs.
- License Manager is now available only in the US (Silicon Valley), US (Virginia), and China (Hangzhou) regions, and will be gradually supported in other regions.
- You can create up to 25 license management tasks within a single region.
- Log on to the ECS console.
- In the left-side navigation pane, choose .
- On the License Manager page, click Create License Management Task.
- When you use License Manager for the first time, you must follow the instructions
to complete authorization.
If the Cloud resource access authorization successful message appears and you are directed to the ECS console, you are authorized to use License Manager.Note For more information about RAM roles, see RAM role overview.
- In the Create License Management Task dialog box, configure the parameters for the
license management task.
Parameter Description License Management Task Name The name of the license management task. Example: Windows server1234567. The name must be 2 to 128 characters in length and can contain letters, digits,
periods (.),underscores (_), hyphens (-), and colons (:). It cannot start with a digit, a special character, http://, or https://.
Description The description of the license management task. The description must be 2 to 256 characters in length. License Type The type of the managed license.
- Instance: The license is associated with instances. You must set License Limit of Instance to specify the number of instances that can be associated with the license as the counting model used for the licenses. The value must be a positive integer. Valid values: 1 to 100000.
- vCPU: The license is associated with vCPUs. You must set License Limit of vCPU to specify the number of vCPUs that can be associated with the license as the counting model used for the licenses. The value must be a positive integer. Valid values: 1 to 100000.
Automated Discovery Rule The product and product version that correspond to the license. This can help you discover and manage licenses in a more precise manner.
- After you configure the parameters, click Create.
After the license management task is created, Activated is displayed in the Status column.
What to do next
After the license management task is created, the system automatically discovers and collects statistics on cloud resources associated with the license management task based on the information that you configured. You can view and manage the resources and your license management tasks. For more information, see View the resources associated with a license and Manage license management tasks.