This topic describes the billing methods, billing rules, and billing examples of Elastic Block Storage (EBS) devices.
EBS devices are classified into cloud disks and local disks. The following section describes how these two types of disks are billed:
- Cloud disks:
Billable item Description Disk capacity fee When you create enhanced SSDs (ESSDs), standard SSDs, ESSD AutoPL disks, and ultra disks, you are charged for these cloud disks based on their unit price, capacity, and usage duration. Performance provision fee
If you enable the performance provision feature for an ESSD AutoPL disk when you create the disk, you are charged both the basic disk capacity fee and the performance provision fee.
Performance burst fee The performance burst feature is enabled by default for an ESSD AutoPL disk when you create the disk. You can disable the feature as needed. If you enable performance burst for an ESSD AutoPL disk and the performance of the disk bursts, you are charged both the basic disk capacity fee and the performance burst fee.
- Local disks: Local disks must be created together with Elastic Compute Service (ECS) instances that use specific instance types and cannot be separately purchased. The prices of local disks are included in the prices of instance types. For more information, see Local disks.
- Cloud disks that are created along with ECS instances use the same billing method as the instances.
- If a cloud disk is created for a subscription instance and attached to the instance, the billing method of the cloud disk can be subscription or pay-as-you-go. If a cloud disk is created for a pay-as-you-go instance and attached to the instance, the billing method of the cloud disk must be pay-as-you-go.
- If a cloud disk is separately created and not attached to an instance, the billing method of the cloud disk must be pay-as-you-go.
|Billing method||Billing formula|
|Subscription (You must pay for cloud disks before you can use them.)||
|Pay-as-you-go (This billing method allows you to use cloud disks and pay for them afterwards. Fees
are automatically deducted from the balance of your Alibaba Cloud account.)
Note Pay-as-you-go disks are charged on a per-second basis and billed on an hourly basis.
|Storage capacity units (SCUs are subscription storage resource plans and can be used to offset a portion of pay-as-you-go disk bills.)||A subscription storage resource plan that automatically matches pay-as-you-go cloud disks to offset their bills. However, sometimes your SCUs are insufficient to cover the full bills of your pay-as-you-go cloud disks.|
The fees for ESSD AutoPL disks may include performance provision fees and performance burst fees in addition to disk capacity fees. For information about the detailed billing rules of ESSD AutoPL disks, see ESSD AutoPL disks.
- System disk: a PL0 ESSD with a capacity of 50 GiB
- Data disk: a PL1 ESSD with a capacity of 100 GiB
|Billing method||Billing condition||Fee (USD)|
Change the billing method of a cloud disk
If the billing method of a cloud disk does not meet your requirements, you can change the billing method. For more information, see Switch the billing method of a disk.
|Resize a cloud disk||When you resize a cloud disk by extending its capacity, you are charged for the additional capacity.||Overview|
|Change the category of a cloud disk||After the category of a cloud disk is changed, you are charged for the disk based on the new category.||Change the category of a disk|
|Change the performance level of an ESSD||After the performance level of an ESSD is upgraded, you are charged for the ESSD based on the new performance level.||Modify the performance levels of ESSDs|
|Modify the performance configurations of an ESSD AutoPL disk||If you enable the performance provision and performance burst features for an ESSD AutoPL disk or if you modify the provisioned IOPS of an ESSD AutoPL disk, you are charged for the ESSD AutoPL disk based on the new performance configurations.||Modify the performance configurations of an ESSD AutoPL disk|