This topic provides answers to frequently asked questions (FAQ) about domain name registration.
- What do I do if my desired domain name has been registered by another registrant?
- Can I register multiple domain names for the same website?
- How long is a registered domain name valid for?
- If I want to use the same information to register multiple domain names, do I need to submit the information multiple times?
- How do I determine whether a domain name is registered?
- What do I do if a domain name that I have purchased remains in the processing state?
- How do I handle a dispute over a .hk domain name that I have registered?
- How do enterprises outside the Chinese mainland register domain names on Alibaba Cloud?
- Can I modify or delete a domain name after it is registered?
What do I do if my desired domain name has been registered by another registrant?
Each domain name is unique. After a domain name is registered, it cannot be registered by another registrant. If the domain name that you want to register has already been registered, you can try to search for similar domain names with other suffixes. For example, if your desired domain name example.com has been registered, you can try to register example.net or example.cn. No difference exists in how these domain names are used.
If you want to own a domain name that has been registered by another registrant, you can contact the current registrant of the domain name and check whether the current registrant is willing to transfer the domain name to you.
Can I register multiple domain names for the same website?
- You can register similar domain names with different suffixes, such as www.companyname.net and www.companyname.com. This ensures that the brand of your company is unique and these domain names cannot be registered by another registrant. These domain names can also be used to build websites in different languages.
- You can also register similar domain names for your website. This allows Internet users to be redirected to your website even if they misspell your domain name.
- You can associate different domain names with sales promotion and advertisement websites to recommend new products or projects.
- You can also register a domain name with the .com or .net suffix to provide email services. This way, your email address contains the name of your company or brand instead of a generic email service such as Hotmail or Gmail.
How long is a registered domain name valid for?
Domain names with common suffixes such as .com, .net, and .cn are valid for up to ten years.
If I want to use the same information to register multiple domain names, do I need to submit the information multiple times?
No, you do not need to submit the information multiple times. If you want to use the same information to register multiple domain names, you can add the domain names into your shopping cart and pay for them at a time with the information submitted once only. If you have registered a domain name and you have passed real-name verification, Alibaba Cloud saves your information. When you register another domain name, the system matches your information. You need to only determine whether to use the information that the system matches for you.
How do I determine whether a domain name is registered?
Log on to the registration page of Alibaba Cloud Domains. On the page that appears, enter your registered domain name in the search box and click Find A Domain.
If the query result shows that the domain name status is Taken and its registration information appears in the WHOIS information, the domain name has been registered. You can check the domain name information. If the domain name information is incorrect, log on to your Alibaba Cloud account to modify the domain name information. For more information, see Modify registrant contact information or transfer domain name ownership.
What do I do if a domain name that I have purchased remains in the processing state?
- Trademark protection
The domain name that you want to register is protected by the domain name registry and cannot be registered. Alibaba Cloud reviews orders in the processing state within one day. If your domain name is protected by the domain name registry, Alibaba Cloud will change your order status to failed and send an email notification to you. In this case, you must register a different domain name.
- Incorrect registration information
The domain name registration information that you provided is incorrect. As a result, the domain name registry denies the registration. Alibaba Cloud reviews the order in the processing state within one day. If your registration information is incorrect, Alibaba Cloud will help you correct the information and resubmit it to the domain name registry for approval. This issue will be fixed within one business day.
- System upgrade may suspend order processing for a short period of time. The system will resubmit the order and help you complete your order after the upgrade. In this case, wait 30 minutes and check again.
How do I handle a dispute over a .hk domain name that I have registered?
How do enterprises outside the Chinese mainland register domain names on Alibaba Cloud?
Enterprises in outside the Chinese mainland and the Chinese mainland register domain names on Alibaba Cloud in the same way. For more information, see Register a domain name on Alibaba Cloud.
If you register a .cn domain name, use a certificate of organization issued by an agency outside the Chinese mainland to complete real-name verification at your earliest opportunity. For more information, see Real-name verification for .cn domain names.
Can I modify or delete a domain name after it is registered?
A domain name is a real-time product. After a domain name is registered, the domain name is written to the database of the domain name registry and cannot be modified or deleted. In addition, your registration fee cannot be refunded.
For example, you want to register a sample.com domain name. Due to a spelling error, you registered a sanple.com domain name. After the domain name is registered, you cannot directly change the sanple.com domain name to sample.com or delete the sanple.com domain name for a refund. You need to register the sample.com domain name to use it.
If you no longer need a domain name, you can suspend or delete the Domain Name System (DNS) records of the domain name in the Alibaba Cloud Domains console. This way, the domain name is inaccessible. You can also ignore the domain name until it expires. If you must delete the domain name before it expires due to special reasons, you can submit a ticket to delete the domain name. However, fees generated by domain name registration or renewal cannot be refunded.