Simple Application Server is a compute service that is designed for single-server scenarios. The service provides cloud-based and lightweight servers that are easy to set up and manage. You can use Simple Application Server to deploy and manage applications, resolve domain names, implement security management, and perform O&M operations. You can easily deploy and use simple application servers.
For more information about the product, visit the product page of Simple Application Server.
Simple Application Server uses the computing, storage, and network resources of Elastic Compute Service (ECS) together with Alibaba Cloud Marketplace images and public images. This allows you to deploy applications with just a few clicks. Simple Application Server is suitable for new users of cloud computing services, individual developers, or small or medium-sized enterprises that want to deploy simple applications on servers.
- No need for hardware such as on-premises physical hosts
- Easy-to-use operation experience, delivery within minutes, and rapid deployment
- Cloud computing resources provided in the form of cost-effective resource plans to deliver robust performance
- Security protection features such as firewalls, HTTPS access, internal network isolation, and data backup
- O&M features such as resource monitoring, self-diagnostics, and operation logs
- Support for Alibaba Cloud Marketplace images (application images), public images (OS images), and the application image management feature
- Industry-standard API that improves ease of use and compatibility
- Resource plans
Simple Application Server packs computing, storage, and network resources into resource plans to simplify configurations. The following table describes the resources.
Resource type Description Computing resource
Simple application servers use ECS instance types that provide consistent performance and are suitable for low-load scenarios in which small web and lightweight applications are used.
You may require other instance types that have sufficient CPU power to handle high-load tasks, for example, you want to deploy large applications or encode videos. In these cases, we recommend that you use ECS instances. For more information, see Instance families.
Simple Application Server uses standard SSDs as storage devices to ensure consistent read and write performance.
When you purchase a resource plan, you can view the category of the disk that is included in the resource plan. You can also attach a data disk to a simple application server. For more information about the performance of standard SSDs, see EBS performance.
Network resource Each resource plan of Simple Application Server includes a data transfer quota and a public bandwidth quota to provide access to the Internet. By default, each simple application server is assigned a public IP address.
Simple Application Server provides the following image types:
- Application images: contain applications, the initialization data of the applications, and the runtime environments and operating systems that are required by the applications. After you create a simple application server from an application image, you can use preset applications or customize applications based on your business requirements. Application images provide ready-to-use applications. This way, you do not need to upload or install applications.
- OS images: contain only operating systems to start servers and do not contain application data or environment configurations. After you create a simple application server from an OS image, the server runs on a clean operating system with no applications installed. You can install applications on the server based on your business requirements.
You can create custom images by using simple application servers. For more information, see Overview.
- Related services
To set up and manage applications in an efficient manner, you can use Simple Application Server together with the following Alibaba Cloud services:
- Virtual private cloud (VPC): By default, simple application servers that belong to the same account and reside in the same region are deployed within the same VPC. These servers can be connected to and communicate with each other over the internal network. An internal bandwidth is shared among simple application servers within a single VPC. Bandwidth stability cannot be ensured for communications over the internal network. For more information about VPCs, see What is a VPC?.
- Alibaba Cloud DNS: resolves domain names and points them to the IP addresses of simple application servers. For more information, see Bind and resolve domain names.
- SSL Certificate Service: provides the HTTPS-encrypted access to simple application servers by using the SSL certificates that you purchase. For more information, see Enable HTTPS-encrypted access.
Resource plans and data disks of simple application servers use the subscription billing method. Data transfer beyond the resource plans is billed on a pay-as-you-go basis. For more information, see Billing overview.