Disclaimer: This article may contain information about third-party products. Such information is for reference only. Alibaba Cloud does not make any guarantee, express or implied, with respect to the performance and reliability of third-party products, as well as potential impacts of operations on the products.
When you log on to a Windows 2008 ECS instance through a remote desktop server, the system prompts "no remote desktop authorization server is specified."
The remote desktop role is installed on the Windows Server 2008 R2 by default. However, the role has a free service period of 120 days. After it expires, you need to purchase and authorize Microsoft.
Alibaba Cloud reminds you that:
- Before you perform operations that may cause risks, such as modifying instance configurations or data, we recommend that you check the disaster recovery and fault tolerance capabilities of the instances to ensure data security.
- You can modify the configurations and data of instances including but not limited to Elastic Compute Service (ECS) and Relational Database Service (RDS) instances. Before the modification, we recommend that you create snapshots or enable RDS log backup.
- If you have authorized or submitted sensitive information such as the logon account and password in the Alibaba Cloud Management Console, we recommend that you modify such information in a timely manner.
There are two ways to authorize a Remote Desktop Server.
Method 1: uninstall the remote desktop session host service
If you do not need more than 2 users to connect to the remote desktop at the same time, you can uninstall the remote desktop session host service. The instructions on how to uninstall the remote desktop session host service are as follows.
Note: this operation has certain risks. Create a snapshot before you perform this operation.
- Connect to management terminal in the Alibaba Cloud Console to remotely log on to a Windows Server.
- Right-click my computer and select manage.
- On the Server Manager page that appears, click a role and delete role on the right side.
- On the page that appears, selectremote desktop servicedelete the paid role to restore the normal remote.
Method 2: configure the remote desktop authorization server
If you want to connect multiple users to the remote desktop at the same time, refer to the following documents and official Microsoft documents to purchase and install the Microsoft Remote Desktop authorization service.