Alibaba Cloud Linux 3 is the third edition of the Linux operating system developed by Alibaba Cloud. It is built on top of the Anolis OS that was released by the OpenAnolis community and is fully compatible with the CentOS 8 and Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) ecosystems. In addition to all the proprietary features inherited from Alibaba Cloud Linux 2, Alibaba Cloud Linux 3 provides improved security, stability, and runtime performance. You can create Elastic Compute Service (ECS) instances from Alibaba Cloud Linux 3 images. Alibaba Cloud Linux 3 images are free to use, and Alibaba Cloud provides services for them.
- Various workloads in cloud environments, such as databases, cloud native containers, data analytics, web applications, and other workloads in the production environment.
- Various instance families, including ECS Bare Metal Instance families. For more information,
see Instance family.
- Alibaba Cloud Linux 3 supports instance types that have up to 768 vCPUs.
- Alibaba Cloud Linux 3 supports instance types that have 0.5 GiB to 12,288 GiB of memory.
- Alibaba Cloud Linux 3 does not support non-I/O optimized instances.
- Alibaba Cloud provides free software maintenance and technical support for Alibaba Cloud Linux 3 until April 30, 2031.
- Alibaba Cloud Linux 3 uses Linux Kernel 5.10 LTS as the kernel to provide the latest enhanced operating system features from the Linux community to improve cloud-based application environments.
- Alibaba Cloud Linux 3 uses GCC 10.2, binutils 2.35, and glibc 2.32 to enhance stability and improve compatibility with other software.
- Alibaba Cloud Linux 3 is compatible with the CentOS 8 and RHEL 8 software ecosystems.
- Alibaba Cloud Linux 3 is optimized for integration with the Alibaba Cloud infrastructure and provides faster system startup and higher runtime performance.
- Alibaba Cloud Linux 3 provides feature adaptation, performance tuning, and stability hardening for Intel, AMD, and ARM processors to ensure that the operating system can keep running in a stable and reliable manner.
|Image||ID of the latest version||Description|
|Alibaba Cloud Linux 3.2104 64-bit||aliyun_3_x64_20G_alibase_20210910.vhd||The default standard image version of Alibaba Cloud Linux 3.|
|Alibaba Cloud Linux 3.2104 64-bit (Quick Start)||aliyun_3_x64_20G_qboot_alibase_20211214.vhd||
This image version is a customized image based on the Alibaba Cloud kernel. It supports quick boot (Qboot) and starts instances from the kernel. Instances created from images of this version start faster than those created from other images, and share the same default runtime as those created from images of standard versions. This image version has the following characteristics:
Alibaba Cloud Linux 3 images are provided for free. However, you must pay for other resources such as vCPUs, memory, storage, public bandwidth, and snapshots. For more information, see Billing overview.
Obtain Alibaba Cloud Linux 3 images
- ECS instances
- When you create an ECS instance, select Public Image in the Image section and then select Alibaba Cloud Linux 3 and its version. For more information, see Create an instance by using the wizard.
- Change the operating system of an existing ECS instance to Alibaba Cloud Linux 3 by replacing its system disk. For more information, see Replace the operating system of an instance by using a public image.
- On-premises environments such as a virtualization environment based on kernel-based
virtual machine (KVM)
Download and install an Alibaba Cloud Linux 3 image and then restart the system. For more information, see Use Alibaba Cloud Linux 3 images in an on-premises environment.
- Eight years of long-term technical support (LTS) is guaranteed in the form of security updates and vulnerability fixes until the release lifecycle ends on April 30, 2031. You can use one of the following methods to obtain free LTS:
- Images are updated every four months. Updates cover new features, security updates, and vulnerability fixes.
- Security updates are provided from YUM repositories. You can run the yum update command to update an image to the latest version.