PolarDB uses an architecture where computing is decoupled from storage. PolarDB allows you to upgrade or downgrade instance specifications within a few minutes, and to perform fault recovery within several seconds. PolarDB ensures global data consistency, and offers free services for data backup and disaster recovery. PolarDB incorporates the benefits of commercial databases and open source cloud databases. This article introduces how XD.com uses PolarDB to deal with business challenges.
- 1 Million+ Players
- 7x24 Service online
XD.com, a well-known game company in China Mainland, which is one of the Top 100 Internet companies in China. Its business involves game research and development, animation production, idol entertainment, and other industrial areas. The company was founded in 2002, formerly known as VeryCD, one of the earliest internet sharing sites in China. Since 2009, the company has begun to create an independent brand of XD.com, dedicated to the development and operation of web and mobile gaming.
- To support the rapid expansion of game business overseas, the global distribution and operation of the “TAPTAP” game community, the unified global deployment needs to be supported. In particular, low-latency and highly stable cloud services need to be provided in the densely populated areas of Southeast Asia.
- When serving large populations in China, Southeast Asia, Europe, and the United States, they need to support the high concurreny of 1 million players online at the same time at the peak time.
- The game operation and online upgrading, game server restart due to software or hardware failure, etc. All of these need faster data reading capabilities from database to achieve rapid business recovery. The game operation and online upgrading, game server restart due to software or hardware failure, etc. All of these need faster data reading capabilities from database to achieve rapid business recovery.
XD.com uses the distributed cloud native database PolarDB to build all business systems:
- PolarDB supports the processing of large amounts of data, and has the capabilities of high concurrency, high availability and strong elastic scalability.
- PolarDB's unique high performance reading capability effectively supports the game service recovering from the server restart caused by the changes or software and hardware failures.
- Good Gaming Experience
Based on the storage and computing separation architecture, all instances have one primary and one read-only node, which providing 3 times the performance of MySQL. The high performance read and write capabilities benefit new services opening and elastic scaling of applications. Scenarios such as game version upgrading and server restart, the maintenance duration can be greatly shortened, and ensure that in extreme cases, the game server's software and hardware failures will not cause slow service recovery and affect the player experience.
- 7x24 High Availability Service
The data is stored in three copies consistently, which ensures the data reliability. At the same time, when the primary instance fails, the system can complete fast switching within a short duration (30s~60s), ensuring that online services can quickly recover while the data integrity is ensured as well.
- Extensive Business Support
100% compatible with MySQL 5.6, 5.7, and 8.0, fully compatible with MySQL ecosystem and middleware open source tools, which is very convenient for game history, game recharge and operation activities.
"PolarDB provides high performance read and write capabilities, and is 100% compatible with MySQL, which enables seamless business migration, supports 1 million players online at the same time, and rapid business recovery from server’s restart due to software or hardware failures."