This topic describes how to upgrade the specifications of an instance in the Message Queue for Apache Kafka console. You can upgrade the instance edition, traffic specification, disk capacity, and supported topics.
- The disk usage of your Message Queue for Apache Kafka instance is high and your business may be affected if the usage continues to increase.
- The traffic of your Message Queue for Apache Kafka instance continuously exceeds your purchased traffic specifications. As a result, the instance cannot meet your business needs.
- Your Message Queue for Apache Kafka instance whose network type is virtual private cloud (VPC) does not have an Internet endpoint and cannot use Internet resources to meet business needs.
- You want to switch the network type of your Message Queue for Apache Kafka instance from Internet and VPC to VPC because your instance does not need to access resources from the Internet.
- Instance specifications can only be upgraded, not downgraded.
- When you upgrade instance specifications, brokers in the cluster restart one by one.
This may bring the following risks:
- Clients are disconnected and reconnected. This may cause a few errors.
- The messages that have already been sent are not lost after an upgrade. If a message cannot be sent during an upgrade, we recommend that you resend the message after the upgrade. You can configure a delivery retry mechanism for clients.
- An upgrade takes about 30 minutes to complete. The larger the increase in disk capacity, the longer the upgrade takes to complete. Services are not interrupted, but messages may be distributed to another partition for consumption. Before you proceed, evaluate the impact on your business. We recommend that you upgrade instance specifications during off-peak hours.
- Log on to the Message Queue for Apache Kafka console.
- In the Resource Distribution section of the Overview page, select the region where your instance resides.
- On the Instances page, click the name of the instance that you want to manage.
- On the Instance Details page, click Upgrade in the upper-right corner of the Overview section.
- In the Risks of Instance Upgrade dialog box, read the notes on the risks of upgrading an instance. If you are sure to upgrade the instance, click OK.
- On the Upgrade/Downgrade page that appears, change the specifications.
Parameter Description Edition
- You can upgrade an instance from Standard Edition to Professional Edition.
- You can upgrade the traffic specification of a Professional Edition instance.
- You cannot downgrade an instance from Professional Edition to Standard Edition.
For more information about the billing of Message Queue for Apache Kafka instances of different editions, see Billing.
- You can switch the network type of an instance from VPC to Internet and VPC.
- You can switch the network type of an instance from Internet and VPC to VPC.
Internet Bandwidth Internet traffic is divided into read traffic and write traffic. The maximum read traffic and maximum write traffic provided by Message Queue for Apache Kafka are the same. Select a bandwidth that meets the requirements of your peak read or write traffic. You are charged for the use of Internet traffic only if your instance is of the Internet and VPC type. Traffic Specification When you upgrade the traffic specification of your instance, take note of the following items:
- Instance edition
- Standard Edition: You can select a traffic specification with a peak read or write rate of up to 120 MB/s. If you need a traffic specification that supports a peak read or write rate of more than 120 MB/s, upgrade your instance to Professional Edition. Then, upgrade the traffic specification.
- Professional Edition (High Write): You can select a traffic specification with a peak read or write rate of up to 2,000 MB/s.
- Professional Edition (High Read): You can select a traffic specification with a peak read rate of up to 150 MB/s and a peak write rate of up to 30 MB/s.
- Disk type
- Ultra Disk: If the peak traffic supported by the traffic specification that you want to select exceeds 120 MB/s, the corresponding cluster is scaled out. After the upgrade is complete, you must rebalance topic traffic. For more information, see Rebalance topic traffic.
- SSD: If the peak traffic supported by the traffic specification that you want to select exceeds 300 MB/s, the corresponding cluster is scaled out. After the upgrade is complete, you must rebalance topic traffic. For more information, see Rebalance topic traffic.
Disk Capacity The default recommended disk capacity varies with the traffic specification. If you adjust the traffic specification, the disk capacity is adjusted accordingly. You can also adjust the disk capacity based on your business needs. Supported Topics
- Each time you purchase a topic, a quota of 16 partitions is added.
- The number of topics that you can create on a Professional Edition instance is twice the number of topics that you purchase.
- Read and agree to the terms of service by selecting the check box. Then, click Buy Now. The Congratulations, purchase successfully message appears. Click Close. Note After you upgrade the specifications of your instance, the time when your order takes effect appears on the upgrade order page.