The dimension management feature provided by Data Modeling allows you to define dimensions in a standardized manner. You can use this feature to create dimensions that may be required during data modeling in advance, manage dimensions in a centralized manner, and ensure that each dimension is unique. This topic describes how to create and manage a dimension.
The abbreviation for the name of a dimension must be unique.
Create a dimension
- Go to the Data Modeling page.
- Log on to the DataWorks console.
- In the left-side navigation pane, click Workspaces.
- In the top navigation bar, select the region where the workspace that you want to manage resides. Find the workspace and click Data Analytics in the Actions column.
- On the DataStudio page, click the icon in the upper-left corner and choose .
- In the left-side navigation pane of the Data Warehouse Planning page, click Dimension management to go to the Dimension management page.
- Create a dimension.
- On the Dimension management page, click New dimension.
- In the Create Dimension dialog box, configure the parameters.
Parameter Description Dimension Chinese name The display name of the dimension.
The display name can be a maximum of 2,048 characters in length. It can contain letters, digits, underscores (_), ampersands (&), and parentheses () and must start with a letter or digit.
Dimension English name The name of the dimension.
The name can be a maximum of 128 characters in length. It can contain letters, digits, and underscores (_) and must start with a letter or digit.
Dimensional English abbreviation The abbreviation for the name of the dimension. The abbreviation is the unique identifier of the dimension.
The abbreviation can be a maximum of 128 characters in length. It can contain lowercase letters, digits, and underscores (_) and must start with a lowercase letter.
Dimension attribute The attributes of the dimension.
You can specify the rows of attributes that you want to add for the dimension and click Add. Then, the system adds the rows that you specify. You can specify display names, names, and abbreviations for the attributes. You can also specify whether to use an attribute as the primary key of the dimension.
- Click Confirm.