To ensure that you can complete the workshop, you must activate MaxCompute and DataWorks by using your Alibaba Cloud account.
- An Alibaba Cloud account is created.
- Real-name verification is complete.
Note If you have already activated MaxCompute, skip this step and directly create a workspace in DataWorks.
- Go to the Alibaba Cloud official website, click Log In in the upper-right corner, and then enter your account name and password.
- Move the pointer over Products in the top navigation bar and choose to go to the product page of MaxCompute.
- Click Activate Now.
- On the buy page of MaxCompute, select a region, read and agree to the service agreement,
and then click Confirm Order and Pay.Note
- By default, DataWorks Basic Edition and the standard pay-as-you-go resource package of MaxCompute are provided on the buy page.
- The project management, query, and editing features of MaxCompute are integrated into the features of DataWorks. Therefore, you must activate DataWorks at the same time. DataWorks Basic Edition is free of charge. You are charged only if you use Data Integration or run scheduled nodes.
- When you activate MaxCompute, you must consider other Alibaba Cloud services that are available in each region. For example, you must consider the region where your Elastic Compute Service (ECS) instance resides and the region where the data resides.
Create a workspace
Note Data resources provided for this workshop are all reside in the China (Shanghai) region. Therefore, we recommend that you create a workspace in the China (Shanghai) region. If you create a workspace in another region and you add a data source in the workspace, the data source may fail the network connectivity test.
- Log on to the DataWorks console by using your Alibaba Cloud account.
- On the Overview page, click in the Frequently Used Workspaces section on the right. You can also click Workspaces in the left-side navigation pane and click Create Workspace on the page that appears.
- In the Create Workspace panel, configure the parameters in the Basic Settings step and click Next. Note In this tutorial, a workspace in standard mode is created.
- In the Select Engines and Services step, select MaxCompute and click Next. DataWorks is now available as a commercial service. If you have not activated DataWorks in a region, activate it before you create a workspace in the region. By default, the following services are selected when you create a workspace: Data Integration, DataStudio, Operation Center, and Data Quality.
- In the Engine Details step, configure the parameters for the selected compute engine.
Compute engine Parameter Description MaxCompute Instance Display Name The display name of the workspace. Resource Group The quotas of the computing resources and disk space of the compute engine instance. MaxCompute Data Type Edition This configuration takes effect within 5 minutes. For more information, see Data type editions. MaxCompute Project Name The name of the MaxCompute project to which the workspace corresponds. By default, the name is the same as that of the DataWorks workspace. Account for Accessing MaxCompute The identity that is used to access the MaxCompute project. Valid values: Alibaba Cloud Account and Node Owner.
- Click Create Workspace. After the workspace is created, you can view information about the workspace on the Workspaces page.