A subject area is a collection of business subjects that are closely correlated with each other. A subject area is used to divide a data mart from various analysis perspectives. You can classify business subjects into different subject areas based on your business requirements. For example, you can create a transaction subject area, a member subject area, and a commodity subject area for e-commerce data.
Create a subject area
- Go to the Data Modeling page.
- Log on to the DataWorks console.
- In the left-side navigation pane, click Workspaces.
- In the top navigation bar, select the region where the workspace that you want to manage resides. Find the workspace and click Data Analytics in the Actions column.
- On the DataStudio page, click the icon in the upper-left corner and choose .
- In the left-side navigation pane of the Data Warehouse Planning page, choose .
- Create a subject area.
- On the Topic field page, move the pointer over the icon and click Create First-level Subject Domain.
- In the Create First-level Subject Domain dialog box, configure the parameters.
Parameter Description Abbreviation The abbreviation for the name of the subject area.
The abbreviation can be a maximum of 128 characters in length. It can contain lowercase letters, digits, and underscores (_) and must start with a lowercase letter.
Subject Domain Name The name of the subject area.
The name can be a maximum of 2,048 characters in length. It can contain letters, digits, underscores (_), ampersands (&), and parentheses () and must start with a letter or a digit.
Owner The owner of the subject area. The default value of this parameter is the Alibaba Cloud account that is used to log on to the DataWorks console. Data Mart The data mart to which the subject area belongs. For more information about data marts, see Data mart. Description The description of the subject area.
The description can be up to 2,048 characters in length.
- Click OK. If you want to modify or delete a subject area, you can find the name of the subject area in the left-side navigation tree of the Topic field page, right-click the name, and then select Edit or Delete.