DataWorks provides an all-in-one professional, efficient, secure, and reliable platform for big data development and governance. Before you use DataWorks, you must activate the service by using your Alibaba Cloud account. After the service is activated, you can authorize Resource Access Management (RAM) users to use DataWorks. This topic describes how to activate DataWorks.
- An Alibaba Cloud account owns Alibaba Cloud resources. Resource usage is measured and billed to the Alibaba Cloud account. You can use the Alibaba Cloud account to create RAM users for your enterprise. You can also use the Alibaba Cloud account to manage and grant permissions to RAM users.
- RAM users are created and managed by an Alibaba Cloud account in the RAM console. RAM users do not own resources, so the resource usage of a RAM user is not measured or billed to the RAM user. The Alibaba Cloud account centrally manages all RAM users and pays for the resources used by RAM users.
Step 1: Create an Alibaba Cloud account
Only an Alibaba Cloud account or a RAM user that has the
AliyunDataWorksFullAccess permission can activate DataWorks. If you do not have an Alibaba Cloud account, perform
the following operations to create an Alibaba Cloud account and complete security
configurations such as real-name verification for your account. These operations are
required to activate DataWorks.
- For information about how to create an Alibaba Cloud account, see Sign up with Alibaba Cloud.
- For information about how to complete real-name verification for an Alibaba Cloud
account, see Real-name registration FAQs.
- To ensure smooth subsequent operations, you must complete real-name verification for your Alibaba Cloud account. If you are an enterprise user, we recommend that you complete enterprise-level verification to enjoy more benefits. We also recommend that you complete the security configurations mentioned in the referenced topics to ensure account security.
- The Alibaba Cloud account that you create is a privileged account to which resource usage is billed. To keep your account safe, we recommend that you regularly change your password and do not share your account with others.
Step 2: Activate DataWorks
- Log on to the Alibaba Cloud international site (alibabacloud.com) by using your Alibaba Cloud account. Go to the DataWorks homepage and click Buy Now. DataWorks provides Basic Edition and four advanced editions: Standard Edition, Professional Edition, Enterprise Edition, and Ultimate Edition. The editions differ in terms of supported features and prices. You can view details of each edition in the Differences among DataWorks editions topic and select the edition that meets your needs.
- Select the region in which you want to activate DataWorks. DataWorks is available in multiple regions in and outside China. You can select a region based on your needs.
- Learn more about the pay-as-you-go billable items and billing details. The buy page displays the billing standards of DataWorks services that are billed in pay-as-you-go mode. You can click the corresponding links for more details.
- Click Buy Now.
- Follow the instructions to confirm your settings. After you read and agree to the service agreement of DataWorks, click Activate Now and complete the payment.
Step 3: Log on to DataWorks and use the services
- Log on to the DataWorks console.
- Log on to the DataWorks console as a RAM user.
To facilitate collaboration and meet the requirements of account security and permission isolation, you can use an Alibaba Cloud account to create multiple RAM users and grant different permissions to the users. The credentials of RAM users can be allocated to different engineers so that these engineers can independently log on to the DataWorks console. For more information about how to use DataWorks as a RAM user, see Use a RAM user to log on to the DataWorks console and use DataWorks.
- Log on to the DataWorks console as a RAM user.
- Create or join a DataWorks workspace.
Workspaces are basic units for managing tasks, members, roles, and permissions in DataWorks. A workspace administrator can add members to a workspace and assign the Workspace Manager, Development, O&M, Deploy, Safety Manager, or Visitor role to each member. This way, the workspace members with different roles can collaborate with each other. Therefore, before you use DataWorks services such as DataStudio, you must create a workspace or apply to join a workspace.DataWorks provides a variety of workspace modes and permission models.
- You can create a workspace in standard mode or basic mode. A workspace in standard mode isolates the development environment from the production environment, whereas a workspace in basic mode does not. For more information about the differences between the two modes, see Basic mode and standard mode.
- You can manage permissions by using the permission models provided by DataWorks. The permission models allow you to grant different permissions to different roles. For more information, see Overview.
- Use DataWorks services.
DataWorks provides an all-in-one data development and management console that integrates a variety of services, including Data Integration, DataStudio, Operation Center, DataAnalysis, Data Modeling, and Data Governance Center. For more information about the services, see related topics in the DataWorks documentation.