This topic describes the database engine versions and database objects that are supported by Database Backup (DBS), and the granularity of backup and restoration in DBS. This topic also describes the features that are supported by DBS for different types of databases.
Features for all supported databases
- Compression: DBS reduces storage costs by means of compression, compact backup, and incremental backup.
- Encryption: DBS uses SSL and AES-256 encryption to ensure security in the transmission and storage of backup data.
- Throttling: DBS throttles the number of backup threads to reduce the impact on the performance of source databases.
- Lifecycle management: DBS provides complete lifecycle management of backup sets and globally controls lifecycle rules to dump, clear, copy, and distribute automatic backup data.
Symbols in the tables
- This section describes the symbols that are used in the tables of this topic.
- ✔️ indicates that the feature is supported.
- ❌ indicates that the feature is not supported.
- For more information about terms such as logical backup and full backup, see Logical backup, physical backup, and snapshot-based backup.
- Alibaba Cloud database services
Backup method Feature ApsaraDB RDS for MySQL ApsaraDB RDS for SQL Server ApsaraDB RDS for PostgreSQL ApsaraDB RDS for MariaDB TX ApsaraDB RDS for PPAS PolarDB for MySQL PolarDB for Oracle PolarDB for PostgreSQL PolarDB-X Logical backup Supported versions
11 The storage type is ApsaraDB RDS for MySQL. The MySQL version is 5.x. Full data backup ✔️ ✔️ ✔️ ✔️ ✔️ ✔️ ✔️ ✔️ ✔️ Incremental log backup ✔️ ❌ ❌ ✔️ ❌ ✔️ ❌ ❌ ❌ Real-time backup RPO in seconds RPO in days RPO in days RPO in seconds RPO in days RPO in seconds RPO in days RPO in days RPO in days Instance restoration ✔️ ✔️ ✔️ ✔️ ✔️ ✔️ ✔️ ✔️ ✔️ Minimum granularity Table Table Table Table Table Table Table Table Database Backup set download ✔️ ✔️ ✔️ ✔️ ✔️ ✔️ ✔️ ✔️ ✔️ Backup set query ✔️ ✔️ ✔️ ❌ ✔️ ✔️ ❌ ✔️ ✔️Note
- Recovery Point Objective (RPO) refers to the point in time to which data can be restored after a disaster. RPO is used to measure the maximum amount of acceptable data loss in a disaster.
- You can back up and restore Alibaba Cloud database services across accounts in DBS. For more information, see Back up and restore data across Alibaba Cloud accounts.
- Self-managed databases hosted on Elastic Compute Service (ECS), on-premises databases,
and cloud databases from third-party providers
Backup method Feature MySQL SQL Server Oracle PostgreSQL MariaDB Logical backup Supported versions 8.0, 5.7, 5.6, and 5.5 DBS supports the following versions of SQL Server on Windows: 2017, 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, and 2005 12c, 11g, 10g, and 9i 11, 10, 9.5, 9.4, and 9.3 10.3 and 10 Full data backup ✔️ ✔️ ✔️ ✔️ ✔️ Incremental log backup ✔️ ❌ ❌ ❌ ✔️ Real-time backup RPO in seconds RPO in days RPO in days RPO in days RPO in seconds Instance restoration ✔️ ✔️ ✔️ ✔️ ✔️ Minimum granularity Table Table Table Table Table Backup set download ✔️ ✔️ ✔️ ✔️ ✔️ Backup set query ✔️ ✔️ ✔️ ✔️ ❌ Physical backup Supported versions DBS supports the following versions of MySQL on Linux: 8.0, 5.7, 5.6, and 5.5 2017, 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2005, and 2000 11g, 10g, 12c, 18c, and 19c ❌ ❌ Full data backup ✔️ ✔️ ✔️ Incremental log backup ✔️
Binlogs can be backed up. For more information, see Back up binary logs of a MySQL database.
✔️ ✔️ Differential backup ✔️ ❌ ❌ Instance restoration ✔️ ✔️ ✔️ Minimum granularity Instance Database Instance Backup set download ✔️ ✔️ ✔️ Backup set query ❌ ❌ ❌ Restoration in minutes ✔️ ❌ ✔️ DBS sandbox ✔️ ❌ ✔️
|Logical backup||Database type||
|Supported versions||4.2, 4.0, 3.6, 3.4, and 3.2||4.0 (standard master-replica architecture)|
|Full data backup||✔️||✔️|
|Incremental log backup||✔️ (Only the replica set architecture is supported.)||✔️|
|Real-time backup||RPO in 10 minutes||RPO in 10 minutes|
|Backup set download||✔️||❌|
|Backup set query||❌||❌|
Database objects supported by logical backup
The following table describes the database objects that can be backed up and restored in DBS.
|Database engine||Database object|
||Table, index, view, trigger, constraint, primary key, foreign key, stored procedure, and function|
||Table, index, view, function, stored procedure, constraint, foreign key, sequence, rule, domain, extension, and operator|
||Table, index, view, trigger, stored procedure, role, constraint, user-defined function, and user-defined table type|
|SQL Server||Table, index, view, trigger, stored procedure, user, role, constraint, user-defined function, user-defined data type, and user-defined table type|
|Oracle||Table, index, view, constraint, foreign key, sequence, trigger, function, stored procedure, synonym, and package|
|Redis||STRING, BINARY, LIST, SET, SORTED SET, HASH, BIT ARRAY, HYPERLOG, GEO, and MODULE|
|MongoDB||Table, collection, index, view, function, user, and role
Note Admin databases do not support backup.