This topic provides answers to commonly asked questions about Database Lab of Data Management (DMS).
- What is Database Lab?
Database Lab is an all-in-one database experience platform that is built based on DMS. Database Lab integrates with various database services that Alibaba Cloud provides. In Database Lab, you can try these database services and create databases for free.
- How do I use Database Lab?
In Database Lab, you can conveniently create a database and create, edit, and delete tables in the database. You can also insert, delete, modify, and query data in the tables. Database Lab also provides you with advanced features of DMS. For example, you can query data across databases, generate test data, export all the data in a database, import or export a large amount of data at a time, configure sensitive fields, and manage operations logs.
- Am I charged for using Database Lab?
Database Lab is provided for free.
- What requirements do I need to meet to use Database Lab?
To use Database Lab, you only need an Alibaba Cloud account. If you do not have an Alibaba Cloud account, you can go to https://www.alibabacloud.com/ to sign up.
- How do I go to Database Lab?
You can go to Database Lab by using its domain name: Database Lab of Data Management.
- How do I know which types of databases Database Lab supports?
Database Lab supports the following types of databases: PolarDB for MySQL, PolarDB for PostgreSQL, PolarDB O Edition, ApsaraDB RDS for MySQL, ApsaraDB RDS for SQL Server, ApsaraDB RDS for PostgreSQL, AnalyticDB for MySQL, AnalyticDB for PostgreSQL, and ApsaraDB for MongoDB. Database Lab provides all users with one shared database instance of each type. After you log on to Database Lab, you can view these instances in the left-side navigation pane. Database Lab is planned to support more database types in the future.
- How do I create a database in Database Lab?
In the left-side navigation pane of Database Lab, double-click the database instance in which you want to create a database, or right-click the instance and select Create a lab database. In the dialog box that appears, enter a name for the database to be created and click Create Database for Free. You can create a database in any of the provided instances.
- How do I create a database in an instance where a database already exists?
If you want to create a database in an instance where a database already exists, you can right-click the instance in the left-side navigation pane and select Release instance. This way, the existing database is deleted and you can create a database in the instance.
- Where do I manage data in Database Lab?
You can manage data in the SQLConsole. After you create a database, the SQLConsole automatically appears. Alternatively, you can double-click a database in the left-side navigation pane to go to the SQLConsole.Note The SQLConsole provides you with a variety of significant features.
- You can manage tables and data on the graphical user interface (GUI) or by executing SQL statements in the code editor.
- You can perform other operations, such as exporting all the data in a database, importing or exporting a large amount of data at a time, and generating test data.
- You can also edit and save query result sets on the Cmd Tab. Apart from the preceding features, you can also try other features in the SQLConsole.
- What is cross-database query?
The cross-database query feature allows you to use one SQL statement to perform join queries across different types of databases. To use this feature, choosein the top navigation bar.
- Am I able to obtain the account and password of a database that is created in Database
Lab and use the account and password to connect to the database by using an application
or by running command lines?
You can obtain the account and password of a PolarDB for MySQL database or an ApsaraDB RDS for MySQL database that is created in Database Lab and use the account and password to connect to the database by using an application or by running command lines. To obtain the account and password of a MySQL database in Database Lab, right-click the MySQL instance in the left-side navigation pane of Database Lab and select Get connection information. In the message that appears, you can view the connection address of the instance and the account and password that you can use to connect to the database.
- In what scenarios can I use Database Lab?
Database Lab is provided for anyone who wants to experiment with different types of databases for free. To use Database Lab, you only need an Alibaba Cloud account.Examples:
- Assume that you are a student. You have been learning the SQL Server database engine in class recently and you need practice. Database Lab allows you to create an SQL Server database and perform various operations on the database at no cost.
- Assume that you are a student. You may need to connect an application to a database. You can create an ApsaraDB RDS for MySQL database in Database Lab and use your application to connect to the database for free.
- Assume that you are a teacher who teaches students about databases. You want a platform where each student can create their own databases for hands-on exercises and you can demonstrate, assign, and manage projects more conveniently. In this case, Database Lab is the ideal platform for you.
- Assume that you are a developer. You are thinking about an easy way to check out the differences between the syntax of MySQL databases and SQL Server databases. Database Lab is exactly the way you are looking for.
- Assume that you are a developer. You are interested in PolarDB that is provided by Alibaba Cloud. In this case, you can experiment with a PolarDB database for free in Database Lab.
- Will the databases I create in Database Lab expire?
In theory, databases that you create for free can be permanently retained in Database Lab. Each time you log on to Database Lab, your databases are retained for 30 more days. If you have not logged on to Database Lab for 30 consecutive days, your databases are deleted. Next time you log on to Database Lab, you can create databases again.
- Does Database Lab limit the usage of resources?
Each user can create a maximum of 512 megabytes of data and a maximum of 1,000 tables in each database. Contact the Database Lab support group if you need larger capacities.