This topic describes how to upgrade an ApsaraDB RDS for PostgreSQL instance from Basic Edition to High-availability Edition. The upgrade increases the reliability of your database service.
- The major engine version of the RDS instance is PostgreSQL 10, PostgreSQL 11, PostgreSQL 12, PostgreSQL 13, or PostgreSQL 14.
- The RDS instance runs RDS Basic Edition.
Note You can log on to the ApsaraDB RDS console and go to the Basic Information page of your RDS instance to view the RDS edition of your RDS instance.
- The RDS instance does not use a new general-purpose instance type.
Note The new general-purpose instance types provide better scalability and performance and reduce the time to create an RDS instance or change the specifications of an RDS instance. The new general-purpose instance types do not support upgrades from Basic Edition to High-availability Edition. For more information, see Primary ApsaraDB RDS for PostgreSQL instance types.
High-availability Edition is a widely used edition. If you use this edition, your database system consists of a primary RDS instance and a secondary RDS instance. These instances work in a high-availability architecture. High-availability Edition is suitable for more than 80% of business scenarios, such as Internet, IoT, online retail, logistics, and gaming.
For more information, see High-availability Edition.
For more information about the upgrade fees, see Specification change fees.
- The upgrade may cause a migration of underlying data. After the migration is complete, ApsaraDB RDS switches your workloads over to High-availability Edition at the specified switching time. During the switchover, a transient connection of about 30 seconds occurs. Make sure that your application is configured to automatically reconnect to your RDS instance.
- After the upgrade is complete, you cannot downgrade the RDS edition of your RDS instance to RDS Basic Edition.
- Access RDS Instances, select a region at the top, and then click the ID of the target RDS instance.
- On the Basic Information page, click Change Specifications.
- In the dialog box that appears, select Upgrade and click Next step. This step is required only for subscription RDS instances.
- Configure the following parameters.
Parameter Description Edition Select High-availability. Instance Type Select an instance type. Each instance type supports a specified number of cores, memory capacity, maximum number of connections, and maximum IOPS. For more information, see Primary ApsaraDB RDS instance types. Capacity Specify the storage capacity of your RDS instance. The storage capacity can only be increased but cannot be decreased. Switching Time Specify the time when you want to switch your workloads over to High-availability Edition. Valid values:
- Switch Immediately After Data Migration
- Switch Within Maintenance Window
- Read and select Terms of Service, click Pay Now, and then complete the payment.
|Change the specifications of an ApsaraDB RDS instance||Changes the specifications of an ApsaraDB RDS instance.|