Alibaba Cloud allows you to enable the disk encryption feature for free on an ApsaraDB MyBase instance that uses enhanced SSDs (ESSDs). This feature encrypts all the data on ESSDs by using block storage. Your backup data cannot be decrypted even if the data is leaked. This ensures data security.
- Disk encryption is enabled when you create an ApsaraDB MyBase for MySQL or ApsaraDB MyBase for PostgreSQL instance. After an instance is created, you cannot enable disk encryption. For more information, see Create an ApsaraDB MyBase for MySQL instance or Create an ApsaraDB MyBase for PostgreSQL instance.
- The enhanced SSD storage type is selected when you create an instance. For more information, see Storage types.
- High-availability Edition is selected when you create an instance. For more information, see Product editions.
- The instance is deployed in one of the following regions:
- China (Hangzhou)
- China (Shanghai)
- China (Qingdao)
- China (Beijing)
- China (Shenzhen)
- China (Hong Kong)
- Singapore (Singapore)
- Malaysia (Kuala Lumpur)
- Indonesia (Jakarta)
- Germany (Frankfurt)
Disk encryption is available for free. You do not need to pay additional fees for the read and write operations that you perform on the encrypted disks.
- Disk encryption cannot be disabled after you enable it.
- After you enable disk encryption for an instance, the snapshots that are generated by the instance and the instances that are created from those snapshots are automatically encrypted.
- Disk encryption does not interrupt your business and you do not need to modify your applications.
Method to enable disk encryption
When you create an ApsaraDB MyBase for MySQL instance or an ApsaraDB MyBase for PostgreSQL instance, click Enhanced SSD (Recommended) and select Disk Encryption on the right. Then, select the key that you want to use.