This topic describes how to migrate an existing server to Alibaba Cloud.
In response to the rapid increase of cloud computing services, Alibaba Cloud has launched a comprehensive server migration service. This migration service is a one-click solution that provides simple and convenient server system migration tools. The service consumes none of local storage space and supports resumable upload and transmission of compressed files. This service reduces costs and streamlines the server migration process.
For more information about the prerequisites for using the migration service and its basic operations, see Overview of the Cloud Migration tool.
The migration process is as follows:
- Practice using the migration tools by performing trial migrations.
For more information about the migration method, see Migrate your server to Alibaba Cloud by using the Cloud Migration tool.
- Estimate the cost and period of migration and make a migration plan.
For more information about the estimation method, see Migration assessment.
- Migrate your servers. Select one of the following migration solutions for your scenario:
- If this is the first migration of your server, we recommend that you perform a full migration of the source server. For more information, see Full migration.
- After a full data migration, we recommend that you perform an incremental migration if data on the source server changes. For more information, see Incremental migration.
- If you have more than 10 servers, we recommend that you create a script for batch migration. For more information, see Batch migration.
- If the source server can access the VPC in the destination region of Alibaba Cloud, you can use VPC-based migration, which is faster and more stable. For more information, see VPC-based migration.
- For system migration of earlier versions or other systems that are not included in the applicable scenarios, see Other migration solutions.
- Use the image generated after the migration to create ECS instances. For more information,
see Create an ECS instance by using a custom image.
We recommend that you create a pay-as-you-go instance for integrated testing of system services. After the services are debugged and are functioning as expected, you can change the billing method of the ECS instances to subscription. For more information about how to change the billing method, see Switch the billing method from Pay-As-You-Go to Subscription.
If you have any problems during the migration, you can Contact us.