This topic describes how to switch an ApsaraDB RDS for MariaDB TX instance from the standard whitelist mode to the enhanced whitelist mode. The enhanced whitelist mode offers higher security than the standard whitelist mode.
Network isolation modes
- Standard whitelist
IP addresses from both the classic network and virtual private clouds (VPCs) can be added to the same IP address whitelist. The standard whitelist mode is less secure than the enhanced whitelist mode. We recommend that you switch to the enhanced whitelist mode.
- Enhanced whitelist
IP addresses from the classic network and VPCs must be added to different IP address whitelists. When you create an IP address whitelist, you must specify its network type.
If the RDS instance resides in a VPC, an IP address whitelist of the VPC network type is created. The new IP address whitelist contains all the IP addresses from the original IP address whitelists.
- After you switch to the enhanced whitelist mode, you cannot switch back to the standard whitelist mode.
- In the enhanced whitelist mode, an IP address whitelist of the classic network type can also be used to allow communication over the Internet. If you want to access the RDS instance from a host over the Internet, you can add the public IP address of the host to an IP address whitelist of the classic network type.
- Log on to the ApsaraDB for RDS console.
- In the left-side navigation pane, click Instances. In the top navigation bar, select the region where the target RDS instance resides.
- Find the target instance and click the instance ID.
- In the left-side navigation pane, click Data Security.
- On the Whitelist Settings tab, click Switch to Enhanced Whitelist (Recommended).
- In the dialog box that appears, click Confirm.