You can migrate an ApsaraDB RDS for PPAS instance across zones within the same region. After the migration, the attributes, configuration, and endpoints of the instance remain unchanged. The migration may take several hours, depending on the volume of data to be migrated.
|Migration from one zone to another||The original zone where the RDS instance resides cannot ensure service performance due to heavy workloads or other issues.|
|Migration from one zone to multiple zones||You want to achieve disaster recovery across data centers for the RDS instance. After
the migration, the RDS instance and its secondary instance reside in different zones.
Multi-zone deployment delivers higher disaster recovery capabilities than single-zone deployment. For example, RDS instances deployed in a single zone can withstand server and rack faults, whereas RDS instances deployed in multiple zones can withstand data center faults.
|Migration from multiple zones to one zone||You can perform this type of migration to meet specific business requirements.|
The migration is free of charge even if you migrate the RDS instance from one zone to multiple zones.
Cross-zone migration is available only when the region where the RDS instance resides has multiple zones. For more information about regions and zones, see Regions and zones.
PrecautionsDuring cross-zone migration, a 30-second brief disconnection may occur, and most database, account, and network operations cannot be performed. Make sure that your application is configured to automatically reconnect to the RDS instance. We recommend that you migrate the RDS instance during off-peak hours.
- Log on to the ApsaraDB for RDS console.
- In the top navigation bar, select the region where the target RDS instance resides.
- Find the target RDS instance and click its ID.
- In the upper-right corner of the Basic Information section, click Migrate Across Zones.
- In the Migrate Instance Across Zones dialog box, select the destination zone, VSwitch,
and migration time. Then, click OK.
After you click OK, the system starts to copy data to the destination zone. This does not affect the workloads on the RDS instance. After the data is copied, the workloads are switched over to the destination zone at the specified time (Switch Now or Switch Within Maintenance Window).Note
- During the switchover, a 30-second brief disconnection may occur. Make sure that your application is configured to automatically reconnect to the RDS instance. Otherwise, you must manually reconnect the application to the RDS instance.
- If the Domain Name System (DNS) cache on the client is not flushed in a timely manner, some workloads may be switched over to the destination zone 10 minutes later. This causes another brief disconnection.
- If you want to change the maintenance window, follow these steps:
- Click Change.
- In the Configuration Information section, select a maintenance window and click Save.
- Refresh the page and perform Step 5 again.
|Migration zone||Migrates an ApsaraDB for RDS instance across zones.|