This topic describes how to switch over services between the RDS for PostgreSQL master and slave instances. A High-availability Edition instance has a slave instance, and the data is synchronized between both instances in real time. You can only access the master instance. The slave instance is a backup instance and cannot be accessed. You can switch over your services from the master instance to the slave instance. After the switchover, the original master instance becomes the slave instance
If the master instance cannot be accessed, your business is automatically switched to the slave instance.
The instance is a High-availability Edition instance.
Basic Edition instances do not support the switchover because they do not have slave instances.
Services may be disconnected during the switchover. Make sure that you configure automatic reconnection policies for your applications to avoid loss of services.
- Log on to the RDS console.
- Select the target region.
- Find the target RDS instance and click the instance ID.
- In the left-side navigation pane, click Service Availability.
- On the Basic Information page, find the Availability Information section and click Switch Primary/Secondary Instance.
- Select an appropriate time to perform the switch, and click OK.
During the switch, operations such as managing the databases and accounts and switchover the network types cannot be performed. Therefore, we recommend that you select Switch Within Maintenance Window.Note If you want to change the maintenance window, follow these steps:
- Click Change.
- In the Configuration Information section, select a maintenance window and click Save.
- Return to the Service Availability page, refresh the page, and perform the steps to switch the service.
|SwitchDBInstanceHA||Switches over services between the master and slave instances.|