This topic describes how to migrate an RDS for PostgreSQL instance across zones in the same region. The attributes, configuration, and connection addresses of the instance remain unchanged after the migration. The time required for the migration varies depending on the data volume of the instance. In typical cases, the migration takes a few hours.
|Migrate instances from one zone to another||The capacity of the zone where the instances are located is full, or the performance of the instances is affected due to other reasons.|
|Migrate instances from one zone to multiple zones||Disaster recovery across data centers is required to improve the disaster recovery
capability of the instances. The primary and secondary instances are located in different
Compared with single-zone instances, multi-zone instances can withstand disasters at higher levels. For example, single-zone instances can tolerate server and rack faults, whereas multi-zone instances can tolerate data center faults.
|Migrate instances from multiple zones to one zone||Specific features are required.|
This feature is free of charge even if you migrate instances from one zone to multiple zones.
- Cross-zone migration is available only when the region where the instances are located has multiple zones. For more information about regions and zones, see Regions and zones.
- The DB engine version and edition are as follows:
- PostgreSQL 10 High-availability Edition (with standard SSDs)
- PostgreSQL 9.4
PrecautionsServices may be disconnected for 30 seconds during cross-zone migration, and most operations related to databases, accounts, and networks cannot be performed. Therefore, make sure that your application is configured with automatic reconnection policies, and migrate instances during off-peak hours.
- Log on to the RDS console.
- Select the target region.
- Find the target instance and click the instance ID.
- Click Migrate Across Zones.
- In the dialog box that appears, select the destination zone, VSwitch, and migration
time, and then click OK.
Note If you want to change the maintenance window, follow these steps:
- Click Change.
- In the Configuration Information section, select a maintenance window and click Save.
- Return to the Instance Information page, refresh it, and perform the steps to migrate.
|MigrateToOtherZone||Migrates an RDS instance from one zone to another.|