This topic describes how to change the specifications of an ApsaraDB RDS for SQL Server instance. These specifications include the RDS edition, instance type, storage capacity, storage type, and zone.
Your Alibaba Cloud account does not have overdue renewal orders.
|Database engine version||Some versions can be upgraded to later versions. For more information, see the following topics:|
|RDS edition||You can upgrade an RDS instance from the RDS Basic to High-availability Editions. For more information, see Upgrade from Basic Edition to High-availability Edition.|
|Instance type||You can change the instance types of all RDS instances.|
|Storage capacity||You can increase the storage capacity of all RDS instances.
For more information, see Specification change fees.
- Data may be migrated after you change the specifications of an RDS instance. After the migration is complete, the RDS instance switches over services during the scheduled time period. The switchover does not interrupt the synchronization of incremental data. During a switchover, a 30-second brief disconnection may occur. In addition, operations related to databases, accounts, and networks cannot be performed. We recommend that you change the specifications during off-peak hours or make sure that your application is configured to automatically reconnect to your RDS instance.
- After you change the specifications of an RDS instance, you do not need to manually restart the RDS instance.
- In the RDS Basic Edition, the database system consists of only one primary RDS instance, and no secondary RDS instances are provided as hot backups. If the primary RDS instance breaks down, is undergoing specification changes, or is upgrading, it becomes unavailable until the operations are done. If you require high database availability, we recommend that you use the RDS High-availability, Cluster, or Enterprise Edition.
- Log on to the ApsaraDB for RDS console.
- In the left-side navigation pane, click Instances. In the top navigation bar, select the region where the target RDS instance resides.
- Find the target instance and click the instance ID.
- Click Change Specifications.
- In the dialog box that appears, select a change method and click Next. This step is required only for subscription instances. Note You can select Upgrade or Downgrade for both subscription and pay-as-you-go instances. The new specifications immediately take effect.
- Change the specifications of the RDS instance. For more information, see Change items.
- Specify the Switching Time.
- Switch Immediately After Data Migration: The system executes the specification changes immediately after data migration is complete.
- Switch Within Maintenance Window: The system executes the specification changes during the maintenance window that you specify.
- On the Change Specifications page, read and select Terms of Service, and click Pay Now.
- Can I change the zone and database engine version of my ApsaraDB RDS for SQL Server
Only SQL Server 2008 R2 that is used with local SSDs allows you to change the zone and database engine version. You can change the zone separately. You can also change the zone while you upgrade the database engine version.
- If I only want to increase the storage capacity of my ApsaraDB RDS for SQL Server
instance, do I need to migrate the data of the instance to a new instance?
No, you only need to increase the storage capacity of your ApsaraDB RDS for SQL Server instance. You do not need to manually migrate the data. When you increase the storage capacity, the system checks whether the host where the instance resides can provide sufficient storage capacity. If yes, the system increases the storage capacity without migrating the data. If no, the system migrates the data to a new instance before increasing the storage capacity. The new instance must be created on a host that provides sufficient storage capacity.
|ModifyDBInstanceSpec||Changes the specifications of an RDS instance.|