To create a dedicated physical connection, you must contact a service provider yourself and complete the whole connection process on your own. You must determine the access point first, purchase a physical connection interface in the Express Connect console, and then create a Virtual Border Router (VBR).
To establish an exclusive physical connection, follow these steps:
- Prepare the connection information.
Before you apply for a physical connection, you must obtain the detailed location of the access point and available resources, ask the service provider to perform a site survey, and get a price quote. For more information, see Before you begin.
- Apply for and enable a physical connection interface.
This process involves operations of the customer, service provider, and Alibaba Cloud. The console displays the required operations and connection states at all stages.
- Create a Virtual Border Router (VBR) to connect the on-premises data center to an Alibaba Cloud VPC.
For more information, see Process of creating a dedicated physical connection.
Step 1: Determine required information
Before the service provider connects your on-premises data center to an Alibaba Cloud access point, you must determine the access point and ask the service provider to perform a site survey. For more information, see Before you begin.
Step 2: Apply for and enable a physical connection interface
Confirm the leased line connection plan with the service provider. After the service provider completes the site survey, apply for and enable a physical connection interface in the Express Connect console. You can learn about the leased line connection progress based on the application status of the physical connection interface in the console. The following figure shows the process of applying for a physical connection interface.
To apply for and enable a physical connection interface, follow these steps:
- Log on to the Express Connect console.
- In the left-side navigation pane, choose .
- Click Apply for New Interface.
- Configure the physical connection interface and pay an initial installation fee.
Configuration Description Region Select the region where the leased line is connected.
We recommend that you select the region of the VPC that needs to communicate with the on-premises data center. If you select a different region, extra fees will be incurred for cross-region communication in Cloud Enterprise Network (CEN).
SP Select the service provider of the leased line.
Different access points are available for different service providers.Note
- China Unicom, China Telecom, and China Mobile only allow connections of their own leased lines at data centers of access points. They do not support leased lines of other service providers.
- China Unicom, China Telecom, and China Mobile do not support connections of bare fibers.
Select an access point that is closest to your on-premises data center.
Access points are the on-premises data centers of Alibaba Cloud that are located in multiple regions. Each region has one or more access points. Different access points are in different locations and have different access capabilities.
For more information, see Before you begin.
Understand Billing Rules Make sure that you understand the billing rules of exclusive physical connections. For more information, see Billing of physical connections.
If you have understood the billing rules, select Yes.
Port Specification Select the specification of the physical port. Different specifications incur different resource occupation fees.
Note Available port specifications include 1G and below, 10G, 40G, and 100G. If you want to select 40G or 100G, you must be added to the whitelist.
- Different specifications incur different resource occupation fees.
- If the bandwidth of the leased line is less than 1 Gbit/s, select 1G and below.
- If the bandwidth of the leased line is larger than 1 Gbit/s, select 10G.
- If you want to increase the leased line bandwidth from 500 Mbit/s to 2 Gbit/s, you must contact your service provider yourself to adjust the leased line bandwidth and contact Alibaba Cloud to replace the optical module.
Port TypeYou can select an electrical port or an optical port.
- All electrical ports use MSTP links. Service providers use optical transceivers to
convert optical cables of the transmission network to low-bandwidth RJ45 interfaces
in data centers where access points are located. According to the industry standard,
RJ45 interfaces are usually used for ports with a speed lower than 100 Mbit/s. Therefore,
we recommend that you use a 100M electrical port if you need a low bandwidth.
The switches at Alibaba Cloud access points support 10 GE electrical ports by default. The port speed depends on the port specification.
- Optical ports are commonly known as bare optical fibers. Service providers directly
use optical cables of the transmission network for you to connect to Alibaba Cloud.
Theoretically, the speed of an optical port is unlimited. It depends on the negotiated
speed of optical modules at both ends of the connection and can be 1G, 10G, 40G, or
- Different access points provide different port types. We recommend you check the port types available for purchase before you apply for a physical connection interface.
- By default, Alibaba Cloud provides optical modules with 1G and 10G ports and a transmission distance of 10 km. If you need optical modules with 40G and 100G ports and a longer transmission distance, you must purchase the optical modules yourself.
- If you select an optical port, make sure that the service provider of the leased line uses optical fiber cables to access Alibaba Cloud devices.
- Alibaba Cloud does not host any fiber optical transceivers for customers. Make sure that the leased line provider uses the correct type of cables to access Alibaba Cloud devices.
Redundant Connection ID Select a physical connection to provide an Equal-Cost Multi-Path routing (ECMP) redundant link for this physical connection to be established. Two physical connections that are deployed in the same region can be used as redundant physical connections.
- If connected to different access points, the two physical connections provide redundancy to each other by default.
- If the two physical connections are connected to the same access point, you need to specify one as the redundancy of the other. The two redundant physical connections are allocated with different access devices.
- Click Buy Now. On the Confirm Order page, click Pay and complete the payment.
- Return to the Exclusive Physical Connection page and check the status of the physical connection interface that you applied for.
The physical connection interface is in the To Apply for LOA state.
- Click Apply for LOA in the Actions column.
LOA is a letter of authorization that allows your service provider to install the leased line at the data center where the Alibaba Cloud access point is located.
- On the Apply for LOA page, enter the leased line connection information, and click Add Field Engineer to add the information of a data center cable installation technician or representative.
Multiple technicians can be added.
If you want to obtain the LOA information, such as the location of the access point and the port of the device in advance, open a ticket or contact the sales personnel.
Configuration Description LOA Recipient Company Name Enter the company name that you set when you registered your account or the name of the account owner. Name of Installation Service Provider Enter the name of your designated data center cable installation company, which is usually the service provider of the leased line or the on-premises data center. Cable type Select the required leased line type:
Note SDH is not supported.
- Fiber Connection
Planned date/time of installation Set the date and time when the data center cable installation technician or representative from the installation company will go to complete the leased line connection at the site of the Alibaba Cloud access point. Local IDC Address Optional. Enter the location of your on-premises data center. Cable Bandwidth Optional. Enter the bandwidth of the leased line.Note The bandwidth value you enter does not affect the fees charged to your account or your usage of the leased line. Click Add Field Engineer and add the information of a data center cable installation technician or representative. Name of Engineer Enter the name of the data center cable installation technician. Contact Info. Enter the contact information of the data center cable installation technician. Type of Official Document Enter the ID type of the data center cable installation technician.
- China ID Card
ID No. Enter the ID number of the data center cable installation technician. Gender Enter the gender of the data center cable installation technician.
- Click OK. Your application is then sent to Alibaba Cloud personnel for review.
The physical connection interface enters the In Application state.
- After the application is approved, usually within one or two workdays, download the
LOA in the console.
The physical connection interface is in the Approved LOA state.Note For access points outside Mainland China, Alibaba Cloud will complete the application review within three workdays.
- Click View LOA in the Actions column.
- On the View LOA page, click Download to download the LOA and view the installation information, such as the location of
the access point, cabinet location, and port information.
- At this stage, we recommend that you instruct your installation company to start installation
based on the agreed plan and connect the leased line to the access device of Alibaba
Cloud outside the data center room dedicated to Alibaba Cloud.
- After the leased line connection is completed, ask the cable installation company to provide a test report for the connection and make sure that the connection works.
- For data centers within Mainland China, Alibaba Cloud will help the cable installation company connect the leased line to the access device in the room dedicated to Alibaba Cloud. After you click Delivery Report in the console, Alibaba Cloud engineers will install optical fibers and connect the cables to the required port.
- For data centers outside Mainland China, the cable installation company only needs to connect the leased line to the access device, such as ODF and Patch Pannel, outside the room dedicated to Alibaba Cloud. After you click Delivery Report in the console, Alibaba Cloud engineers will install optical fibers and connect the cables to the required port.
- To install leased lines at data centers of China Telecom, China Unicom, and China Mobile in Beijing, Shanghai, Hangzhou, and Shenzhen, you must obtain an authorization letter in advance and give the letter to the personnel of China Telecom, China Unicom, or China Mobile for review.
- The authorization letter must be acknowledged and stamped by your company and Alibaba Cloud, and handed over to the data center personnel when the cable installation company arrives at the data center. To have the letter stamped by Alibaba Cloud, open a ticket or contact your sales manager.
- The LOA issued by Alibaba Cloud should be given to Alibaba Cloud engineers.
- After the cable installation company completes the leased line connection at the access
point, contact the installation company to obtain required information, such as the
leased line code, label numbers of indoor cables, and the port location. Then, on
the Exclusive Physical Connection page, click Delivery Report. On the Delivery Report page, enter the required information and click OK.
The physical connection interface enters the Waiting state.
- Alibaba Cloud will connect the cables to the corresponding ports according to the
information you provided. Alibaba Cloud should complete this step within two workdays
of you clicking OK in the preceding step.
The physical connection interface is in the Pending for pay state.Note For data centers outside Mainland China, Alibaba Cloud will install the cables within three workdays.
- After you confirm that the physical connection interface has been deployed, click
Pay for resource occupation fee in the Actions column. Select the validity period and renewal method, click Buy Now, and pay the resource occupation fee.
After the payment, the physical connection interface enters the Enabled state, indicating that the physical connection is established.
Step 3: Create a VBR
After the physical connection is established, you must create a VBR to enable the communication between the on-premises data center and Alibaba Cloud.
To create a VBR, follow these steps:
- Log on to the Express Connect console.
- In the left-side navigation pane, choose .
- Click Create VBR.
- Configure the VBR and click OK.
Configuration Description Account Select whether to create a VBR for the current account or for a different account. Account
If you create a VBR for a different account, enter the ID of the account.
VLAN ID Enter the VLAN ID of the VBR. Value range: 0 to 2999.
- If the VLAN ID is 0, it indicates that the switch port of the VBR uses Layer-3 route interface mode instead of VLAN mode. In Layer-3 route interface mode, each physical connection corresponds to a VBR.
- If the VLAN ID is a value from 1 to 2999, it indicates that the switch port of the VBR uses VLAN-based Layer-3 sub-interface mode. In Layer-3 sub-interface mode, each VLAN ID corresponds to a VBR. In this mode, the physical connection of the VBR can connect the VPCs under multiple accounts. The VBRs of different VLANs are isolated from one another by the Layer-2 network.
For example, a company has multiple subdivisions or subsidiaries. Each has an independent Alibaba Cloud account, and each account has an independent VPC. If the company applies for a physical connection, it needs to plan a VLAN ID for each subdivision or subsidiary. When creating router interfaces, the company uses VLAN IDs to identify the subsidiaries or subdivisions that use the physical connection, isolating them from each other by using the Layer-2 network.
Gateway IP Address on Alibaba Cloud Side Enter the IP address of the gateway from the VPC to your on-premises data center. Gateway IP Address on Customer Side Enter the IP address of the gateway from your on-premises data center to the VPC. Subnet Mask Enter the subnet mask of the gateway IP address on the Alibaba Cloud side and the gateway IP address on the customer side. Only two IP addresses are required. Therefore, you can enter a longer subnet mask.
- After the VBR enters the Active state, ping the gateway IP address of the VBR from the gateway IP address of the on-premises data center to test the connectivity of the exclusive physical connection.